Sunday, December 4

A Single Unfortunate Event

So I was in a hurry, and knew I needed to take some sustenance before I left the house, otherwise it could be hours before I ate, and I could possibly pass out. Or at least get really cranky. Fortunately, we had a few packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast on the shelf. I grabbed one, dumped it in the glass, and filled the glass with milk. I quickly stirred it up and gulped down about 2/3 of the stuff. When I stopped to take a breath, I noticed that there were some crunchies in my mouth. "Hmmm. Must not have stirred it thoroughly enough," I thought. Sometimes the little grains don't dissolve, and then you have to kind of chew them up. It's not that bad.

As I chewed, I took a look in the glass, at what was left over. This is what I saw:


That's right--weevil larvae. Only they weren't alive, so I guess that's something. How they got into a sealed package of Carnation Instant Breakfast, I don't know. I do know that my stomach lurched ever so delicately, and that when I felt something in my mouth that wasn't liquid, I started spitting involuntarily.

And after that, well, I just didn't feel the need to put food in my stomach any more.

Next time, the story of the old lady who gave me a box of chocolates seething with maggots. I ate half of them before I noticed.

Dinner, anyone?

10 comments:

Desmama said...

You are a cruel, cruel person to post something like this when I am just emerging from my Pregnancy-Induced Nauseating Weeks of Torment. Here's looking forward to a few more weeks before the image of weevil larvae leave my brain. (BTW, that's why I stopped blogging--not larvae, but the pregnancy--I just lost interest in anything that didn't involve lying on the couch and bemoaning my existence.)

N.F. said...

Oh my - I can't even begin to comment! I've done that many a times - the whole bugs in the chocolate that then goes into my mouth. UGH!

daltongirl said...

SM: Right. Or I should throw stuff away after it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year. I think this one's my fault. But thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Texmom: sorry about making you puke. I had no idea you were pregnant. I would have put a disclaimer at the beginning, but I still would have posted this. Look forward to seeing you back as soon as you feel better!

Feather: thanks for admitting to eating bugs. I think more people should be open about their bug consumption. I think we'd be better adjusted as a society.

Th. said...

.

That there's the main reason I don't like Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Cicada said...

Ack! Ack! Ack! This is the worst thing I've ever read! Ack! Sick! Sick! Sick! Sick! Sick!

MamaJ said...

But think of all the positives...

1) In some societies weevil are probably considered a bonus.
2) As was discussed in Sunday School yesterday, John the Baptist ate bugs and honey his whole life. Maybe you'll have a deeper understanding of him now.
3) Wasn't it a high protein breakfast you wanted?

And was the glass half full, or half empty?

Limon said...

My ancestors, the Stuarts, were the founders of Carnation, so I apologize. Unfortunately I have none of the stock. So don't sue me. Unless you want four boxes of cereal and half a carton of ice cream.

Desmama said...

Daltongirl--surely you know I jest (about your being cruel). I am pregnant, but your blog posts have gotten me through many a nausea haze. Laughter really is the best medicine.

stupidramblings said...

I LOVE rice!...

Nemesis said...

Ugh. Ugh. So disgusting. And to think I used to love Carnation Instant Breakfasts.

Blech!