Ten things I loved about Nauvoo:1. The temple. Oh, so lovely. And at night--whoa.
2. Being in the temple with our whole family.
3. Becoming the Nauvoo Temple Organist (honestly, if you've heard me play, you know that's a stretch, but what fun it was! They were kind enough to pick easy hymns for me). I think they are having my name tag made so next time I go it will be all ready.
4. Pioneer tours and artifacts and demonstrations galore. Also, free stuff.
5. Cheesy shows by performing missionaries and couples. Darling, hilarious, and who knew those old people had so many talents? I want to go there on a mission!
6. Staying in an authentic (much renovated) pioneer cabin. Being able to point out to our kids that even the small suitcases we brought contained too much stuff for an entire family to live in a space that size. Getting three pairs of eyes rolled at me (not for the first or last time).
7. Running into two different families (known to us) from our town. What are the odds? Apparently they are pretty good.
8. Finding out more about Community of Christ. Interesting, but not in the sense that I want to know much more.
9. Seeing the Mississippi River. Being inspired with a fabulous plot outline for my new novel. It will be about an orphan boy who lives with his aunt in the late 1800s. All I can reveal is that he will trick his friends into whitewashing a fence, and will get lost in a big cave.
10. Trail of Hope. President Hinckley said he wished everyone could walk down Parley Street and feel the spirit of that place. I had no idea it would be so powerful.
A few things I didn't love so much:
1. Some of those older missionaries get stressed out easily. Then they act cranky.
2. People don't seem to smile so much in Illinois.
3. Dottie's tater tots.
4. All the chairs in the temple squeaked really loud, even though it's all practically brand new. Somewhat distracting.
5. Most of the pioneer/historical questions we asked were too hard for the missionaries. So we didn't learn quite as much as we'd hoped.
6. Leaving.
I think the pros far, far, far outweighed the cons. I'm so glad we went.
5 comments:
.
#9: I hate to tell you this, but this one's been written too.
And I feel your pain; I too have a knack for the difficult question.
Where can I get my hands on the book daltongirl is going to write? I mean, it's already out, right? So hurry up and write it already!
th: Not sure what you're talking about. It was inspiration, I tell you. Also, I forgot to say that I'm going to write under a clever pseudonym that will employ some riverboat term.
stupid: You're silly. How can you read a book that hasn't been written yet?
That's cool that you were able to see the Nauvoo Temple. My dad went there last Fri. evening. He was a speaker for that whole handcart shin-dig in Iowa City. He said they came out of the temple just as the sun was setting and it was so beautiful. Were you there that night?
OH! I am so jealous that you went to the Nauvoo Temple! I still remember where I was, with my mom, when I heard President Hinckley (on the radio) make the big announcement.
Post a Comment