Wednesday, October 8

e-verwhelmed

I consider myself to be a fairly techno-savvy individual--for a middle-aged person. For example, I:
  • have the electronic mail, a weblog, and a wireless phone
  • have a laptop computer, which I can take with me to meetings, enabling me to take notes and connect to the Internet when necessary
  • text message
  • instant message
  • buy and sell on ebay
  • have an ipod (I even download weekly podcasts of "This American Life")
  • have Google Reader down, as well as other Google applications
  • can program my DVD player, and know how to adjust the sound on the CD player in my car
  • watch instant movies on Netflix
  • use cell phone applications for my personal organizer, including my morning wake-up alarm
  • use a digital camera, and post photos on Flickr
My point here, is that I feel comfortable with technology. This week though, I may have hit the wall.

I got a Facebook account. I did it so I could see what Lola was up to (and keep tabs on who might be stalking her, pretending to be a fourteen-year-old girl). I also thought I might be able to find some friends that I've lost touch with. After I accidentally invited every single person in my address book, including a bunch of legislators and school board people to become my friends, I got to my home page and just stared. I think I may have felt something like . . . despair.

Something short-circuited in my old-lady brain, and I just sat there, staring, feeling despair. I can't even begin to comprehend what to do with this thing. One too many ways to communicate with others, I guess. Now all I want to do is sit in my rocking chair and knit, while listening to John Denver albums on my record player. I wonder if all my Facebook friends will help me by organizing an e-ntervention.

4 comments:

Cicada said...

That is exactly how I felt when I opened my facebook account. I promised I'd keep it for a week, and the minute that the week ended, I closed my account and asked the facebook admin to delete it eternally from their records. Just thinking about it now makes the dark cloud of despair come back!

alisonwonderland said...

if you'll stick with facebook, we can play WordTwist together. :)

Lady Steed said...

DG,

Yes, Facebook is overwhelming and strange. I find it a very strange thing. But I want you to know that you appear to be well beyond Theric and I when it comes to techno-savviness. So, don't feel stuck in your rocker

Th. said...

.

But then I hardly ever look at my account. So.