Tuesday, July 12

Pay it Forward--Citizen Activism Done Right

I've been caught up in this story this week--about a woman who decided to grow vegetables in her front yard and is being taken to court by her city. Read the article. It will make your blood boil. It's made me really want to grow veggies in my front yard next year, just to make a statement. (Also to get rid of some of the "grass" read--dandelion greens and thyme--that drinks too much water and doesn't even look good.)

You could argue that the story itself is something good--it promotes a lot of things that are good--citizen activism, self-reliance, etc. But what I really want to highlight is the woman's reaction to all the attention this story is getting--and it's getting a LOT of attention. She sounds awesome. So kind and charitable in spite of being ill treated. I'm considering moving to Michigan so I can be her neighbor and we can grow veggies in our front yards together. Too bad I'm the only one in my family doing the considering.

If you are at all interested in following her story, I highly recommend her blog.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm not sure I'd be as charitable as your highlighted blogger~even though I'm from Michigan originally my blood is boiling. I'm going to send all my Michigan relatives to aid her in this crazy situation. Thanks for linking up with "Pay It Forward". This is a great post to share.