Wednesday, June 29

We are not amused.

I know this question has been asked throughout the ages, but I'm going to ask it again. Why does the entire medical profession insist on using "we" when they mean "you" or "he"? It almost got a nurse killed today. I think people should know that it's dangerous and wrong--not just annoying.

I take my kids to the doctor, and the minute we walk in (we meaning me and a kid--not me, a kid, and the receptionist/doctor/nurse), the receptionist asks, "Who do we have?" I think I get my displeasure across pretty clearly, by compressing my lips a little and putting a slight emphasis on "This is Sean." Unfortunately she has a short term memory problem, so even though she knows not to do it again, she forgets and we're right back to square one the next time I go in.

Anyway, a little background on why a nurse almost died today. Early this morning I get a phone call from Bret's work. Seems he's fallen down and passed out a couple of times, and is at the ER being looked at. (Note: It was important for me to clarify whether or not he passed out and fell down, or fell down and passed out. Since it was the latter, I had nothing to worry about. He passes out over everything, so as long as that wasn't the cause of him falling, he's probably okay. As long as he didn't hit his head, which he didn't. He fell on his back and passed out from the pain.)

So I call the hospital to find out what the status is. The receptionist (oddly enough) asks if I want to talk to him--not us, and I say yes. This is where it gets ugly. The phone rings in another part of the hospital. A nurse picks it up and says, "Hold on, we're getting dressed."

Um. What?

Does anyone else see a problem here? Fortunately for everyone involved, I kept my cool, because 1) I trust my husband implicitly, and 2) I've seen him pass out before. It's not very appealing. Unless you are attracted to dead people, which is just sick.

So that nurse got lucky today, that's all I have to say. I will probably write a strongly-worded letter and send it to Human Resources at the hospital, suggesting mandatory grammar lessons for all staff members. If it happens again, I will have no choice but to head on down there with an AK-47 and teach them a lesson they'll not forget.

Bret's okay, by the way. A little lortab, a couple days of rest, and we'll be right back on our feet.

1 comment:

Nemesis said...

Yes, write the strongly-worded letter! I can even help you write it, once I stop laughing hysterically. But I'm glad TSMITW is okay!