Monday, November 7

Teach Ye Diligently

This month's theme: Sharing the gospel by following the example of Jesus Christ.

Daltongirl: Children, what would some one think if they saw you doing the same things that Jesus did?

Hoping for an answer along the lines of, "Hey! That person is like Jesus. I want to be like Jesus, too."

Hyperactive Genius Kid: Copy cat!

This is the part where I spin around and face the wall and laugh hysterically (shaking silently in the manner of Dallin Oaks) for quite some time, while all the little kids look on, slightly concerned.

Might as well take this opportunity to share a similar story about Lola as a small child.

We were visiting a friend, who is a prolific author and renowned scholar mostly on Jesus Christ, but also on Joseph Smith and other LDS topics. Lola was about three, and was walking reverently around in his office, looking at books, photos of the Holy Land, little statuettes, etc.

Lola: I'm thinking about Jesus in this room.

Me (thinking, Wow! what a spiritually sensitive daughter I have here. I am such a great mom!): Really? I think [our friend] thinks about Jesus in this room a lot, too. This is where he writes all his books. That's probably what you're feeling.

Lola (abruptly, heading for the door): I gotta get outta here.

Me: Why is that?

Lola: Well, I'm thinking about Jesus and it's not even Sunday. What do I wanna do that for?

Some people say I am a great teacher of children. Not very many people say that I am a great teacher of children. My talents lie . . . elsewhere, it seems.

Like in playing the flute. I thought it might be fun for the kids to have some instrumental accompaniment for a change, so I took my flute along and played the descant to "Beautiful Savior" while they sang. One little four-year-old boy said afterward, "Hey, that sure is a beautiful instrument! Is that just for girls, or can boys do it, too?" I told him that no self-respecting boy who hoped to grow up to be a real man would ever even consider touching a flute.

Maybe I didn't really say that. I actually assured him that it was indeed an instrument for both boys and girls to play. He looked mighty pleased.

So from now on, all my teaching will be done through music. Next week: A musical interpretation of sharing the gospel through service.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Man. That copy cat thing got me, too. We used to make our mother laugh when she was trying to give us lectures. Good fun, good fun. Also the having to get out of there because she's thinking about Jesus and it's not even the Sabbath. Man. Too funny. And the flute! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Limon said...

I have to admit that I put my head on my desk to laugh about this one. I hope my coworkers didn't notice. My stomach leapt when I read your "response" to the little boy about the flute. So unfortunately true . . .

Missy said...

LOL. OH that is to rich! I am the Primary President for my ward, and I thought I had heard it all, but this takes the cake.