Tuesday, December 20

'Tis the Flu Season

So on Day Four, my family gathered around the sick bed and stood there, looking down at me. It kind of reminded me of the time a couple of days before my grandma died, and we were all around her, and she started trying to joke around with us about dying. Only it didn't go over so well at that time, because, well, she really was dying, and we were very sad. So just in case, I didn't joke around too much either. Also, I didn't feel like joking. I feel bad about that, because some people can really keep their sense of humor when they're sick, but I just really didn't. Some people can also blog about their sickness while they're sick. My hat is off to them. Basically I just lay there and gasped for breath, wishing each one would be my last.

It's all kind of a haze at this point, but I know I must have been really, really sick, because I remember daltonboy, jr. poked his head in one day and asked if I needed anything. (He had probably just heard a really good talk on The Season of Giving or something.) I mustered all my strength, rolled my head over and looked at him with my half-closed, glazed eyes and croaked out, "No, thanks." Then he disappeared. I'm pretty sure it was a bonding moment.

And now that my hearing is partially restored, my joint swelling has gone down to the point that I can walk farther than the distance from my bed to the bathroom without a severe limp, my teeth are no longer begging to be pulled from my mouth by any means necessary, and my facial tissue usage has decreased to an average of ten per hour, I think I may also be getting my sense of humor back. Once the migraine is completely gone, I should be really chipper. Just in time. The rest of the family should be incapacitated within the next forty-eight hours. Maybe on Christmas morning, when I'm feeling particularly generous, I'll take a second to poke my head into DBJ's room and ask if he needs anything.

6 comments:

MamaJ said...

Oh, wow, and here I thought the reason you hadn't blogged for a while was because you were enjoying the merriment of the season. I'm sorry that you've been so miserable. (It was probably due to a virus carried by weevil.)

stupidramblings said...

I wish you the best. It's miserable, but I think it's mother nature's way of telling you to take a break...

Th. said...

.

Well, I'm glad to hear you were a verge. It makes the sin of not posting forgivable.

stupidramblings said...

I have answered your question on Ask Stupid. I have been "not blogging much" during the holidays, but you can read my latest here: Ask Stupid: 14. Pincers of Peril

Stupid...

Th. said...

.

So I guess, by now, the flu has finally killed you?

David Rodeback said...

Welcome back, DaltonGirl. The blogosphere wasn't the same without you.