Thursday, January 19

Signs

While driving around town, I saw that one of the local churches had changed its name and put up a rustic new sign. Not having a photo available, and not wanting to offend anyone by stopping to take one, I have created a reasonable facsimile of what I saw and offer it here:
At first I thought that maybe they had changed hands, and become a day care center or something. But day care centers don't usually have Sunday services, do they? Most likely I'm not going to go to that church. I'm not sure who they're marketing to. Aron Ralston? Adventure isn't really what I think most people are looking for in a house of worship.

Then we took a trip out to the Water and Sewage Treatment Facility, and I noticed this sign next to a big open ditch.

Is there really even a remote chance that a person is going to drink anything going into or coming out of a place that has "sewage" in its name? And if there is, don't they deserve whatever they get? I bet the employees even bring their own drinking water in. I would.

Also at this facility, where we were dumping yard waste to be mulched into compost with the other ingredients at hand, this sign:
I guess my question here is, do you want to be in a vehicle with someone that's loaded? If they're in the driver's seat, they shouldn't be, because that's illegal and dangerous. And if they're in another seat, chances are pretty good they're going to throw up or something. So I say, please get out of the vehicle while loaded.

In a related story, at the State Legislature I heard a senator claim that she was a "long-time advocate of DUI." My intent is not to ridicule that statement, because everyone makes mistakes, especially when speaking in front of a group of people. Just look at Dan Quayle. A smart, capable guy who said some pretty silly things. I'm certain she meant to say "DUI legislation." But the sign there was that it would be very wrong of me to feel that my opinions are not of worth to the legislative body, and that there is no reason for me to feel intimidated when speaking with our state's lawmakers. None.

At the school drop-off circus, there's a woman who drives a BMW with the license plate "NEANER." For me, if I were trying to get the same message across, I'd buy a lowered lime-green Honda Civic, with yellow-tinted windows, custom wheels, and a big ol' fin. It would also have some of those woofers that take up the entire trunk. Then I'd go on over to Black Dog Killer Custom Paint and Airbrush and have them put "I'm richer than you, so I can afford a really expensive car. Too bad money can't buy taste!" right down each side, with some blue flames thrown in there for good measure. 'Cause that's pretty much the same thing, only done in a slightly less subtle way.

And finally, my aching back, arms, sides, and legs are all giving me the unmistakeable sign that it was too little, too late at the gym. Shoveling a foot of snow off the driveway was not something I should have done without a couple of months of serious weightlifting behind me. Will revise workout schedule and routine on Monday. Ow!

3 comments:

stupidramblings said...

Ah yes, the snow. My back is aching. It is also a big tattoo-map of waterworld...

ambrosia ananas said...

Wow. Those are some great ones, DG. Let me know when you get that lime-green ride, and I'll give you some dice to hang from your rearview mirror. They'll be handsewn from 500 thread count silk, and I'll dye them with saffron to match your tinted windows.

Cicada said...

I'm currently watching the Aron Ralston video...

Too distracted to comment...