I'm back. Back to stay. Forever. I am never leaving my house again. Fortunately, most of you won't notice, since the only time we are in contact is via computer anyway.
I will share some of the details of my PTA trip later. Right now, it's time to talk about the Primary Election that was held yesterday, and at which I worked for fifteen straight hours. As it was a closed Republican election, I was not eligible to vote. I absolutely agree with that practice, by the way, but did not need to be told by one voter that it would be a good idea if they never let Democrats vote at all. I smiled and told her to have a nice day. My Republican coworkers (who were aware of my affiliation and gasped slightly when she said it) stiffly did the same.
My favorite part was where I (as poll manager) had to go out to the street and yell, at the top of my lungs, "Hear ye, hear ye! The polls are now open!"
What the heck is that all about, anyway?
Not many people voted. That meant that the poll workers, including myself, could take long naps. Unfortunately, the elementary school where we were working was short on beds. So I fashioned my own little bed out of a bench and a stack of magazines for a pillow. So very comfortable and relaxing.
The people I worked with were very nice and mostly fun. There was one man with the four of us women, who told me the story of his ADHD daughter. After spending several hours with him, I said, "She comes by it honestly, doesn't she?" He laughed and agreed wholeheartedly. This man was also possibly the second most talented person on the planet (Lola takes first place) at coming up with hypothetical catastrophies and trying to work out solutions for them.
"What if there's a tornado? How do we secure the equipment?"
or
"If a freak ball of fire suddenly comes rolling down the hall and melts our computer access cards, what should we do?"
Except for the time that he was conducting personal business on his cell phone, this man ate the entire time we were sitting there. It amazed me that he did not weigh 500 pounds.
And then, after daltonboy came to bring me dinner, ADHD man told us that, like people who have been married forever and have come to resemble one another, our eyes sparkled in a similar way. And that was so sweet that I had no choice but to love him.
The county results? Seventeen percent turnout. A Certain Congressman is still in the race. The crackpot crook who was running as his opponent received 44 percent of the votes. Read into that what you will.
5 comments:
I got a phone call from George Bush yesterday. Do you have any idea what THAT was about?
Also, I'm very glad to have you back.
I'm so glad you're back! I've missed you so much!!!
Oh, wait ... we were together. Well, then, I'm glad you're back because I am SO GLAD I'm back. Also, I can't wait to see what you say about the weekend o' craziness in Phoenix with me!
So, hurry up already!
George W. Bush apparently called every voter in Congressional District 3. With his busy schedule, I can't believe he had time for that! He left the ADHD guy a message while we were sitting there, and ADHD guy let me listen to it. The message did not change my mind about A Certain Congressman. No matter--I'm not a Republican, and even if I were, I don't live in District 3. Lucky you.
.
Now I want to be a poll worker! I just don't get to yell "Hear ye! Hear ye!" as often as I'ld like.
I wonder if we do that in California....
I think everyone does it nationwide. Supposedly it goes back to the eighteenth century, or whenever they started having polls. That could be something I made up, but most of the things I say are.
Post a Comment