Dear People With Whom I Do Business:
We have a problem. I send you emails, asking for direction or advice, and you respond, but don't answer. I believe this is either because you don't like me, and want to see me fail, or because you don't know how to respond.
For example, I send you the following email:
I think it would be a good idea to do X. What do you think?
You respond:
Thanks!
The question of what you think has not been answered, you see? And so I'm still at a loss as to whether or not X is really a good idea.
Or perhaps I send you this:
I'm not going to have time to take care of X. Might you be able to take care of it?
You respond:
Thanks!
So . . . ummm . . . are you going to do it, or not?
I say:
Here is the agenda for next week's meeting. Please let me know whether or not you will be able to attend.
You respond:
Thanks!
And . . . I still don't know who is coming.
It's embarrassing, really, because I need information, and you are not forthcoming. I could respond to your response with another question, like "Could you please answer my question?" but that would make you look stupid. I like you and want to see you succeed, so I am unwilling to make you feel dumb; however, something must be done, before I go insane.
Since you keep sending me very nice "thank you" messages, I am led to believe that you like me okay, and probably want to see me succeed. Therefore, I ask you to allow me to instruct you on the proper way to answer an email.
1. Read the email, in its entirety. Every time you see a question mark or a phrase like, "please let me know," make a mental note. This will require action on your part when you respond.
2. Make sure you have all the questions and their answers adequately noted in your mind. Use a piece of scratch paper if you're having trouble. If this is especially difficult for you, you can even respond to the email by typing in your answers right in the body of my original email in a different color or font. Ain't technology great?
3. Hit "reply." Answer each question asked. Try to do this in a way that will be clear enough that I can tell which question you are answering. If this is difficult, use #2 as a crutch.
4. Scan through the original email. Match your comments with the questions or requests in that email. If there is any question that they are not all sufficiently answered, repeat step 3.
5. If any of my questions or requests were unclear, so that you were unable to answer them, or if you don't have an answer yet, make note of that in your response.
6. Then, and only then, hit "send."
And now, let's see if you learned anything.
QUIZ:
Blogger will not show pictures on my friends' posts. I am unable to see pictures on anyone's blog except my own. So far I have deleted cookies and temporary Internet files, thinking that might make a difference. It didn't. I am able to see graphics and pictures on other Web sites. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Daltongirl
6 comments:
Thanks!
Sincerely,
blogger.
I knew I could count on YOU, Stupid.
Stupid stole my response.
And I have no answer to your problem. Weird. Maybe if you hadn't canceled our lunch date tomorrow, you could have brought up your swank new laptop and we could have looked at the problem together. Too bad you canceled lunch...
Recently, my boss sent me an email with information that did not help me at all. It was the wrong info, not needed to solve my problem. I found a tactful way of suggesting that instead of giving me unneeded info, perhaps he simply sent me the wrong info and had the right info somewhere convenient to send me.
He responded by saying, "Wow. That was a really nice way of saying, 'You don't know what you're talking about, you dummy!'"
So despite my best efforts to not communicate that message, it was still communicated. But nicely.
I am one of those habitual "Thanks!-ers," because I do not want to think any more than necessary, I do not want any more responsibility than I have, and I want ultimate deniability in all areas of life where difficulties may arise.
On a somewhat related note, my friend told me a story about having a melanoma removed from her back last fall. Her doctor told her she wasn't allowed to move for a week. She took sleeping pills around the clock and slept for 6 1/2 days straight. I was jealous. This nirvana is what I am working toward with my endless, inarticulate string of "Thanks!"
Do you think my seratonin levels are low?
Thanks.
For your support angst, I suggest you visit a therapist.
Is your support issue taken care of? (Thought I'd ask before I make any number of off-the-wall suggestions...)
Post a Comment