Wednesday, August 20

Eddicated and Eddified

I just got back from attending two days of Campus Education Week classes at BYU. I've never done this before. Now I can't really figure out why. I only live twenty minutes away, and it's cheap. But I'm ever so glad Mamaj talked me into it this year, because it was awesome! I want to be a better person based on what I learned. I want to work harder and do more. I want to read scriptures all day long and make profound notations in the margins. I want to act like Jesus. And those are good things.

Two questions, though.

1. During the Tuesday Devotional, where Robert D. Hales was the (amazing) speaker, I heard more than one person answer a cell phone and talk on it, making no attempt to speak at low volume. Not just a ringing phone, silenced with a look of embarrassment. No. Full-fledged non-emergency conversations going on. Granted, the Marriott Center is huge, and one might assume that one's voice would be insignificant without the benefit of electronic amplification, and that would be sort of true if there weren't any people sitting within fifty feet of the person. That was not the case. My question is this: if you believe Elder Hales to be an ordained Apostle of Jesus Christ (and I'm assuming most attendees at this particular conference do), is there anyone on Earth you might respect enough to turn your cell phone off for, or at least not put on hold in order to talk to someone else? If Jesus Himself walked in and started to talk, I doubt you would refrain from answering your phone if it rang. Am I right? Yes. I am. Get some help.

2. There are about thirty classes being held simultaneously across campus at any given time. What are the odds of a person who is known to me, and who has been confirmed to be certifiably crazy by more than one source, attending the majority of the same classes I choose to attend (and I didn't just pick classes in the same building so I wouldn't have to walk). And what does that say about me, if anything?

And now I'm going to get to work on that being-a-better-person-and-not-judging-so-much thing.

No comments: