Friday, August 22

I want to be assimilated!

A very important detail of our vacation that I almost forgot to share!

As I planned the drive from New Jersey to Rochester, NY, I had an epiphany. Mapquest confirmed that Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca was practically on our way. Practically.


I have been cooking from the Moosewood Collective's books for many years, and have loved almost every recipe. This opportunity to eat from the hands of the masters caused me to begin salivating back in June.

Since no one else had any valid suggestions about where to eat in the Ithaca area (Wendy's is not a valid suggestion and is met with the most withering glance I can muster), I programmed the restaurant into our GPS and off we went. On the way I waxed rhapsodic about the Collective, how cool they were, and how it would be so awesome to belong to a group of people that really cared about health, and eating an organic, vegetarian diet, and wearing clothing made from sustainably harvested fibers . . . I think there may have been eye rolling in the back seat, but I didn't care. I know there was eye rolling in the front seat. Mostly because the word of "organic" causes daltonboy to see dollar signs and then he hears no more.

Of course, since we were following the GPS instructions, we drove by it twice before we realized it would have been easier to just look for it instead of waiting for the computer to tell us we were there. While sitting at a stop sign, I looked over and said, "I wonder if that's it." Daltonboy said, "Well, there's a Prius. Oh, look! There's another Prius. Two Priuses on one block? Yep. We're here." Ha, ha, very funny.

I was in raptures about everything--the ginger, lemon, and honey iced tea, the salad dressing, the main course (which, ironically, I can't remember, because I was tasting everyone else's and it's all a blur now), the chocolate cake (whoa!). I tried to contain myself, but I'm not sure how well I did.

Daltonboy was almost cool about the cost of the meal. He did it for me, I think, because he loves me so. Also, I agreed to go do photography stuff with him in Rochester. I decided not to push my luck by asking for a souvenir apron or cookbook. I can get those online cheap, after the shock of the expense has worn off.

And the bonus was we got to drive through Ithaca and a bunch of other lovely, lovely towns. I have been begging db to move there ever since. Somehow, I think the vision of eating every meal at Moosewood might be holding him back.

3 comments:

Heidi Rodeback said...

How insanely jealous I am! You know, I lived within walking distance of the Moosewood for three of my nine Ithaca years. I can positively assert that you would fit right in. You ought to be made an honorary Ithacan.

You are always welcome to borrow my Moosewood Cooks at Home, if you didn't buy one for yourself!

Natalie Gordon said...

This has nothing to do with assimilating moose or wood. But everytime I click on daltongirl on my favorites, I start humming that "Diamond Girl" song from the
'70s. So, in my head, I'm singing, "Daltongirl, hmm, hmm, You sure do shine, hmm, hmm." It's awesome.

David Rodeback said...

For future reference, we liked Joe's, an Italian place on Route 13. And don't miss the excellent cafe inside Wegman's, a grocery store on the south side of Ithaca. The new Harmon's in Draper is a pale but passable imitation.

If you wander to Cortland (nearby, on I-81) or Skaneateles (recommended, just off I-90), Doug's Fish Fry is a must. If you go as far as downtown Syracuse, the Dinosaur Grill is to die for. None of the above would be caught dead being vegetarian, of course. The Dinosaur waitresses might beat you senseless for asking nutritional questions. (They're really biker girls earning pocket money, I think.)

Next time, leave the back seat crowd home and take me and a member of your City Council with you.