Wednesday, November 5

Not even the tiniest bit of a hangover!

When I woke up this morning I thought, "Huh. So this is how almost every other person in my county/state usually feels the day after election day." It feels good to have chosen the winner. I'm not smug or anything--just feeling good. Like I did something right for a change.

Here are a couple of classic quotes from yesterday's marathon at the polls, which turned out to be a bit anticlimactic. We expected about two hundred more people than we got, meaning I finished sleeve one of daltonboy's sweater and got a good start on sleeve two. I also didn't get to perform a citizen's arrest on anyone who was electioneering, which is always a disappointment. I probably should have put a stop to the discourse on the merits of socialism that a couple of us were treated to, but I was a little afraid the person would come back with a gun, so I pretended not to notice that it was inappropriate (and crazy).

Classic quote number one came from an elderly woman who wanted to know if she was in the right polling location.

"Is this where the First Ward votes? Where does the First Ward vote?"

Heaven help me, I actually burst out laughing. Thankfully, I was not in conversation with the framer of the question, but assisting other voters at the time. All were amused, I can tell you that.

Classic quote number two from a youngish woman who beckoned to me from her voting machine. When I approached, she said, "This is going to be a really stupid question."

I assured her that I was an expert at answering stupid questions, and had been doing so all day. Just kidding. I told her that many people had questions about the machines, and I'd be happy to help.

"Which one is McCain?" she asked.

I admit, I hadn't expected that. Then again, I hadn't expected to have time to knit, either. Way to keep me on my toes, Precinct. You never fail me.

2 comments:

april said...

hey, i'm a blog lurker. hope you don't mind me stopping by. this post was hysterical. i hope you inadvertently showed that girl the obama spot, not mccain.

daltongirl said...

Hey april! Thanks for stopping by. I became quite adept at "accidentally" pushing certain (Obama) buttons for people, in the interest of "showing them how to use the machine."

Just kidding, but I was sorely tempted to say, "Oh, McCain's the democrat--you know, black guy?" However, I remembered the sacred poll worker oath I took just in time.