Monday, December 1

For the birds

Now that Thanksgiving is over, we can start preparing for the big holiday. Here are some turkey cooking ideas from a few second graders at my neighborhood elementary school. There's a variety, so you should be sure to find one that works for you. Bag the ham. Forget the smoked turkey, brined turkey, deep-fried turkey. NOW I'm getting excited for Christmas!!

Recipe #1
  • Hunt turkey
  • Pull fethers
  • Cut off feet
  • Bake it
  • Eat the turkey.
Recipe #2
  • Put it in the micer wave and warm it up and then eat it up.
Recipe #3
  • Opin it
  • Put it in the uvin at 100 degrees Farnhit
  • Wate for the turkey
  • Wile you wate, set the table
  • When it is dun cooken, take it out and stuf it and envite family and frends and eat it.
Recipe #4
  • By a turkey
  • Now keep the turkey in the wrapper for an awer or so
  • Then unwrap your turkey and rest your turkey in the oven
  • Stuf the turkey with stufing
  • Then you prepared a turkey.
Recipe #5
  • Buy the turkey
  • Take the stuff off
  • Put a pan under it
  • Wash it
  • Put turkey in oven
  • Turn oven on for 1098
  • Turn oven off
  • Take it out
  • Let it cool off for an hour
  • Eat it.
If I can't find an oven hot enough to make Recipe #5, I'm going to go with #4. I never knew there was a benefit to leaving the bird in the wrapper for an hour (or so), but I'm certain there will be a flavor advantage to just letting it rest in the oven, as opposed to stressing it out by getting it too hot. Either way, we are looking forward to one tasty turkey!

2 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

when my son's kindergarten class did a similar project, his "recipe" including cutting out the feathers and gluing them on the turkey. not too surprising given that the only turkey he'ds ever seen me prepare was of the construction paper variety!

Cicada said...

When I was that age, I'd take severed duck and partridge feet to school in a plastic baggie for show and tell... I'd have to include that in the recipe: Pull tendon to make foot move.