Thursday, October 15

A new twist on an old favorite

Santa kneeling at the manger. Personally, I find these figurines distasteful. No doubt this has something to do with the fact that I was raised to believe Santa was in league with the Prince of Darkness--may even have been second in command down there. (After all, rearrange the letters of the name "Santa," and what do you get? I rest my case.)

But all that aside, I get it: Santa, the guy who's all about stuff, the guy children pray to in the name of greed, has his priorities straight. He knows what it's all about, and we should be reminded as well, by having a tiny Santa with his hat off as part of our Christmas Nativity scenes.

Only now, we can get a figurine of Santa kneeling in front of Baby Jesus . . . nestled sweetly in the top of a chimney.

I infer one of two possible messages from this:

1. Santa can't be bothered to go all the way over to Bethlehem to worship before he heads over to Europe and the Americas to give stuff to the rich kids there. He's a busy guy. Even if he doesn't take the time to give gifts to poor kids or Muslim and Jewish kids, there are still a ton of houses to visit in one night. The solution? Bring Jesus to him!

2. Santa is planning on giving Jesus to the kids by stuffing Him down the chimney on which He rests. I can't even go into the many ways that disturbs me.

I plan to protest this new assault on my delicate sensibilities by purchasing yet another giant inflatable snow globe for my yard. And now that the Christmas season is upon us, according to Costco, Target, and pretty much every other store I go into, it won't be long before I can get that thing up for your enjoyment. Look for it.

No comments: