Friday, October 16

Better than a Jack-o'-Lantern

So I'm driving down the freeway, listening to "Fresh Air" for something to do, and Ruth Reichl starts talking about delicious fall foods. She gives a recipe, my mouth starts to water, and I immediately signal, exit the freeway, and drive like a bat out of hell to the nearest Sunflower Market, where I purchase the ingredients to make the following vat of deliciousness:

1 pumpkin
1 baguette (I used whole grain)
4 oz Gruyere cheese
1 cup half and half
2 cups chicken broth

Hollow out the pumpkin (cut off the top so it can serve as a lid while it bakes). Save the seeds so you can make some delicious toasted pumpkin seeds. Maybe I'll give you a recipe later. Cut up all the bread, grate the cheese, and fill up the pumpkin shell. Dump in the liquids.

Bake at 350 for about two hours or however long you feel like baking it. I threw it in the oven and left for a meeting. When I got home and pulled it out of the oven approximately two and a half hours later, we all just about passed out from looking at the beauty. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture as we dove in immediately.

Scoop out pieces of pumpkin flesh with the bread and enjoy. We had a lovely green salad to go with it. And now I must go eat all the leftovers.

2 comments:

Natalie Gordon said...

I heard most of this Fresh Air. I love the idea of a book called, "Not Becoming My Mother."

Debbie said...

Wow. Now that does sound good! I did that with pears on that show once - raced out and bought the stuff and made them.