This year I'll be portraying an amazing woman: Myrtle Seastrand, community activist and spunky member of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP) who galvanized fund-raising efforts to erect historical monuments and museums and who knows what all.
(Before we go any further, I should point out that the story takes place in the sixties, so I altered my suit, threw on a couple strings of pearls, and made me an awesome hat which I now plan on wearing every day of my life. Because that outfit makes me look like Stewardess Barbie, I think, except for the part where I don't have a 14-inch waist.)
American Fork's relic hall (DUP museum) was dedicated 50 years ago, so the DUP held a little celebration this weekend, and I got to perform the vignette before the pageant. (This means I'll have the whole thing memorized before the pageant even starts--possibly a first for me!)
I had no idea tonight's event was going to be such a big deal! I got a phone call a couple of months ago from one of the DUP members asking if I would participate, and I figured I'd show up for half an hour, do my thing for ten or fifteen people, and leave. Not so. The woman who opened the program talked (a little too long) about how they decided to portray Myrtle's life, my name came immediately to mind, and they knew I was the perfect person for the part. Slightly awkward as I sat in facing the audience and they all sat looking back at me. There were about 150 people there, and approximately 50 of them were Myrtle's direct descendants. The pressure was on. Not only did I have to do the whole thing from memory, but now I really had to act like these people's mother and grandmother. And prove to the entire audience that divine inspiration hadn't failed the planning committee.
I guess I did okay. All three of Myrtle's darling surviving children
So it was a lot of fun. Daltonboy got to stand around and watch me get treated like a celebrity, so he had a great time, and I got to stand around and be treated like a celebrity, so it wasn't a half bad way to spend a Friday evening.
If you're in the area, next Saturday night (or the following Monday or Tuesday) would be a great time to show up at the American Fork Cemetery and learn about a really cool lady who may or may not have worn a green hat, as well as a bunch of other people who have made this community awesome. Oh, and there are buggy rides, ice cream, folk music, crafts, and every good thing. 6:00 until dusk. Be there!
2 comments:
[applause!]
I love the hat! You're amazing.
Post a Comment