(I'm not counting my actual first 5K from back in April, because I never trained and mostly walked. This time I worked for it, which means I won't be sore tomorrow. Yay.)
Here are the important details, and then we can get down to my time and placing. This was a race of self discovery.
First off, I discovered why the 20-29 year olds win. Two words: bladder control. About four steps in, I realized that it had been a very bad idea to take those three sips of water with my vitamins and morning medication. And with 3.19 miles left to go, I could tell it was probably going to end uncomfortably. It did. I am happy to note that my new favorite running pants didn't give me away to the rest of the world.
Next, I discovered that I should probably have my thyroid rechecked or something. As soon as I started running, I also started crying. What's up with that? And why couldn't those three sips of water been converted into tears that would have just dried on my face? Hmph. Fortunately that only lasted a few seconds.
About a minute in, I discovered that my inhaler isn't working. Or maybe I used it too soon. I puffed about 20 minutes before the race started. Half a mile down the road, only half of my lungs were working. The good news is I ran 4 miles on Thursday without inhaling at all, so I knew I could do it, even with half my lungs.
About 8:52 in, I discovered that I had already run a mile! This was a happy discovery, given the other things that had happened so far. Running with others and with more adrenalin makes you go faster. I had heard this, but I was happy to have it proven to me today.
Two miles in, I discovered that I'm not really a "hill" person. This was not so much a discovery as a confirmation of what I already suspected. But it turns out most of the other people weren't that into running uphill either, so it all worked out.
Most importantly, I discovered that I should have worn a costume, because that scene was hilarious. And I have a Star Trek (original series) costume that has been languishing in my basement for over 25 years. It is just wanting to be worn. And to win me awesome prizes. I'm kicking myself now. Maybe next year.
And here are the less important details:
Time: 33:35
Place: 11th in age group, 157th overall
Total runners: 325
I shaved about 12 minutes off my unofficial time from my unofficial first 5k. That means that next year I should be able to run it in approximately 21 minutes, which would make me the overall winner, not to mention overall awesome. Not that I care about winning (ahem!), but I wouldn't mind free season tickets!
.jpg)
4 comments:
You are an official athlete! I guess the next step is to start the Dalton foundation—all real athletes have their own foundations. I’ll be your first contributor, five dollars is in the mail.
Justified in calling yourself awesome! All that and you looked good too. That and the fact that you own a star trek costume? I am not worthy.
You're the awesomest ever! I am so proud of you, even with all the minor discomforts. Way to go!
Run, Leslie, run!
Post a Comment