Tuesday, March 29

Picture Books: Not Just for Kids

There's a little contest this week between the city library and the city rec center: Books vs. Laps. Whoever has the most (books checked out or laps run/walked) by the end of the week will be the recipient of the proceeds from the annual city 5K.

So Lola and I are out to support our library by checking out books galore! We can check out 40 books at a time, and there's no way we can read that many in a day, week, or month, so we've gone almost exclusively to picture books. Every day we're checking out 30 picture books, reading them, and returning them the next day for more.

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

This is turning out to be so much fun!! It's a great reminder that there's some amazing literature that we don't take advantage of when we don't have little kids around. But honestly, some of this stuff is awesome, and I can't imagine it being enjoyed by kids at all. Maybe it's like Sesame Street--designed for kids and adults so they can enjoy together. Whatever--the result of this little game is that I'm going to check out more picture books from now on. Probably not 30 a day, but I think I should get a few every week.

An unforeseen benefit: daltonboy actually picked up a book yesterday, read it, and said, "There. I read a book. Happy now?" That brought a tear to my eye. Vision for the future: if we keep this up, he'll be on Goodreads before we know it!

5 comments:

pretty darn prosaic said...

Whatever you do, do not check out a bookified disney movie! Painful, painful reading. I have nightmares......

daltongirl said...

Wednesday contest update: Monday the library checked out over 1900 books. Yay!! The rec center had over 13,000 laps (track and pool). So . . . we might not win. Still, this is so fun that we're going to keep checking books out for two more days. I had a goal to read 50 new-to-me books this year, and I've already read over 50 this week!

daltongirl said...

Robbie. Don't you know me at all?

Bookified Disney. Psssssh. I would never.

Th. said...

.

Happy Hockey Family.

daltongirl said...

Yes, we are big fans of Lane Smith! Sadly, my library does not have that book. But the PG library does. Time for a trip across town.