Wednesday, November 2

Halloween

This year I decided to dress up. I'm not exactly sure why. One of my friends convinced me to do it "for the children," and the Trunk or Treat wasn't sponsored by the church, which made me feel better about it. We don't have to get into that here. This is about our costumes, not the fact that I hate Halloween and want it to go away forever.

Daltonboy was happy, because he loves Halloween, and he's been ever so patient with my boycott for a lot of years. So when I decided to dig my Star Trek costume out of the costume chest, he got right on board and decided to go as a Red Shirt Guy. Only we couldn't find a red shirt in the house, and we could find a gold shirt. So he morphed into Captain Pike, because The Shatner is just cliche.
Oooooooohhhh, yeaaaaahhhh!

I made my own costume circa 1984. It's been in dry storage ever since, and still looks pretty good. A new insignia made it a tiny bit cooler than it was, and it was just awesome enough that Lola begged for it when she saw it. It wasn't that hard to give up. I didn't feel comfortable in the mini skirt anyway. But daltonboy felt sad that we weren't going as a duo any more. Oh well.

Sexy Nurse?

Costume #2: and now you get to start guessing. I had this genuine Indian salwaar kameez that I'd never worn, so I got that out of the costume chest and steamed it. I felt slightly racist about wearing someone's traditional cultural dress as a costume, but at the last minute I came up with a brainwave and was able to go as an actual (very obscure) literary character (and possible literal political personality--we'll never know).


Check out my awesome henna. Also known as brown marker. Washed right off.

Hint #1: Select invisible text below to read.
I have one prop that is not pictured. It is a wand.
Hint #2: More invisible text right under here.
I am never actually seen in the books--just referred to.
Hint #3: Last chance for invisible text.
I share my last name with the current Indian president. It's possible I am the current Indian president. Wouldn't that be something? Infiltrating the muggle political system . . .

I hope you play, and I hope someone gets it. I was very disappointed in the children, for whom I went to all the trouble of coming out of Halloween hibernation, because only one of them got me.

Oh, and please remember, this costume is not racist, so you can't guess "the Comcast lady" like one guy did. I'm sorry to say I laughed really hard.

After the Trunk-or-Treat we decided it was too early to go home and that we hadn't shown ourselves off to enough people. So in order to avoid offending all the masses of Indian people that live here in Utah Valley, we went out for hamburgers. Saw nary a one.

Oh, total amount spent for all three costumes: $6. We had almost everything in our awesome costume chest! I don't know about next year, but it is definitely fun to dress up.

2 comments:

DJ Rose said...

Pavarti's mother?

Bridget said...

I wish Halloween would disappear too. I don't understand the creepiness and celebration of evil. All, well, the kiddos love costumes and free candy. I would be just fine skipping the whole ordeal though.

Are you one of the twins?