The Inn
The darling B&B we stayed at was uniformly charming. The fact that the establishment was fifty feet from the freeway was hardly a consideration when one took in the quaint atmosphere of the place. It was romantic, clean, and well-maintained by two very nice young men, who were partners in every way, if you know what I mean. In fact, late the first night I had a slight fear that we were staying in an all-gay inn, and they were all laughing at us, because we didn't know. Then I realized that the guy in the room next to us was just a really loud talker, and he was carrying on a conversation with a guy on the TV. At midnight. His girlfriend/wife was really quiet. This wasn't totally the obnoxious guy's fault, really, because there used to be a door between the two rooms, and they had just put a large piece of cardboard there and painted it on each side to match the decor of the rooms, which was artistic and cute (the paint job), but didn't do a whole lot for soundproofing. What made the guy really obnoxious was that when it was time for his breakfast basket to arrive, he started opening and closing the door to his room about every five seconds to check. That went on for a good twenty minutes, and kind of got on my nerves.
Unfortunately, we lost the respect of our hosts at some point. I think it might have been when daltonboy requested a Star Trek movie from their video library. So when we left they didn't ask how our stay was, or encourage us to come again. I think they didn't set any store in our opinions after that.
The Dinner
I wore my black linen, low-cut dress, and DB said I looked beautiful. I didn't even have to feel self-conscious about the neckline, because we were in Salt Lake, where everyone dresses skanky. So that was a relief. We ate at a little Italian place that I have always wanted to go to, but never have, and now I'm glad, because I had no memories of eating there with certain other people whom I should like to erase from my memory. We had reservations, and from the moment we walked in, we were treated like people should be treated when they're paying for food. "Are you the Daltons?" they asked. We were. "Is it your anniversary?" It was. "In that case, we'd like to offer you a couple of options for your table. Would you prefer to sit by the fireplace, or back here, where it's more intimate?" We chose the fireplace. Intimacy could wait. The weird thing was, no one called us "guys," no one sat at our table with us when they took our order, and no one asked if everything was still tasting okay. Also, the food was very, very wonderful. The only thing that marred the meal was a fortyish couple across the room who were out with their only child. They had that bohemian look to them in addition to just being ever so proud to be parents at this stage in life. The father looked like he might be a professor at the U. He was telling stories to his little boy in the loudest indoor voice a person could possibly use, and making the kid laugh hysterically. Everything about them said, "Your evening out is of no consequence in comparison to the entertainment of my little boy. We are parents! We are good parents! Look at us being good parents!" At first DB thought the couple was out on a date and the guy was trying to impress his girlfriend by wooing her child. It soon became apparent that that was not the case. Anyway, they left soon enough. We got to meet up with them at the charming book store next door after dinner, where Dad was reading to the boy, and when I say out loud, I mean out loud. So we left and went to Shopko.
The Post Dinner Date
We had to go to Shopko, because we both forgot our toothbrushes. Also, we wanted a little treat for later. Also I needed some antacids. For a minute we forgot we were on our anniversary date, and started just roaming the aisles of Shopko. Then I pointed out that that was a dumb thing to do, so we walked up to the counter with our chocolate, Rolaids, and toothbrushes. Then we made the clerk laugh with our funny combination of stuff.
We went back to the room and watched a Star Trek movie. And ate Dove chocolates. And listened to the guy next door talk to the TV. And stuff.
The Bountiful Temple
Next morning, after consuming a giant basketful of fruit, homemade cinnamon rolls, juice, hot cocoa, and yogurt, we headed up to Bountiful to patronize the temple there. It was a lovely time, and now we only have three more temples left in Utah to visit.
Afterward, I showed daltonboy how easy it is to change clothes in the car in the temple parking lot. He didn't catch on so well. He got stuck in his shirt and almost broke his arm, and was very nervous and stressed out. It eventually got all sorted out, and he calmed down. I think it's good for him to step out of his comfort zone once in a while.
The Gateway
We had a lovely lunch in a cafe across from Liberty Park, and did a little shopping and sightseeing. Then we headed over to the Gateway, which we had never seen before, and took that in. The aquarium was lots of fun--DB was attacked by a stingray that kept leaping up out of the tidepool, and we also saw lots of other Finding Nemo critters and listened to lots of moms telling their kids, "Oh, look! There's Dori!" Then we went to some stores, where we got sick to our stomachs thinking about how much people spend on clothes and stuff, except for j.jill, which was very fun and where I got lots of ideas about how I could make my own hip and cool fashions for about a billionth of the price. Then we ate frozen dipped cheesecake at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and headed south.
The Movie
We arrived an hour and a half early (tickets purchased six weeks ago on Fandango). We were about the hundredth and hundred and first people in line. Next to us was a large, fun family whom we enjoyed eavesdropping on until two ladies came and got in line between us and pretended that they didn't know the end of the line was about five hundred people on down the hall by that point. We said nothing. It wasn't worth it. But still.
Kudos to all the cast and crew of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Wonderfully done, and very much enjoyed by all. I admit that I clapped, but before you judge me you should know that it was for the guy who came in before the movie started and told the crowd that anyone caught text messaging or talking on a cell phone during the movie would be escorted from the theater. The only thing I was sad about was that I forgot to wear my quidditch robes, and therefore felt slightly out of place. Still not sure what the two girls wearing bright orange wigs were all about.
We returned to the B&B at around 10:00 to find a just-married couple checking in and looking very sheepish. Thankfully, they were NOT placed next door to us.
The Deseret Industries
Next morning, we continued our anniversary tradition by stopping at various D.I.s along the way home. With a break for a delicious Indian buffet, we were able to go to about five of them in the eastern Salt Lake Valley. I found a lovely wool suit, and a darling gray blazer. Daltonboy got a couple of things, but was unable to find a new suit, at which point I made him stop at Nordstrom Rack, at which point he got very cranky with me and refused to even look at any of the nice suits to be had for under $200. So we continued on our way in the hopes of finding something less fashionable, more ill-fitting, and less than $30. No success. I mean, we could have been successful, but our standards for fashion and ill-fittedness were too high. So we wait for another opportunity. Or until I just go spend some money and tell him it's too late because the deed is done. The comfort zone must be breached one step at a time.
The Homecoming
Some people seemed glad to see us. Lola immediately had a good long cry, which she'd been holding in for two whole days, and which was long overdue. DB, jr., and daltonkid didn't notice we were gone. Daltonkid: Oooh, yeeeaaah, you guys were out of town, huh! In his defense, they were at their mom's house until earlier that day, so I guess it's conceiveable that we could just have been out at WalMart for like five hours or something on a Saturday afternoon.
Oh, it's good to be home. We had a wonderful time. Next year: Vernal!
6 comments:
.
That was a lovely story, but in the grand tradition of blog commenting, I'm going to pick one thing out and act like it is all that matters.
I often, when checking out at stores, think about what my purchase says about me.
But alas, I don't have any good examples offering themselves to share. Pity.
Maybe someone else made a goofy purchase lately to save my climaxless post....
I was on vacation with my wife Limpy. We went to this huge shopping center/outlet store place. My main credit card cracked. My secondary credit card was American Express--not accepted at that store. That store was Maidenform--my wife Limpy needed a bra. I almost had to buy a bra with my corporate card. In the end, I didn't have to, but I thought it would be a funny scenario trying to explain why a purchase of women's underwear was on my corporate card.
Does that count as climactic?
.
(no comment)
Fun! I want a trip like that. You know, the thing I remember most about your cute family, learned from Nemesis' stories about ya'll is Lola's penchant for a good cry. Glad to hear she's still at it!
My one part of the story is the cardboard door. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong. There is a VENT in the wall between my room and the neighbors' room next door. They're getting married in December... and I'm going to have to plug my fan in and put it on high in the middle of winter or buy ear plugs or find something that makes white noise but doesn't cost money. [shudder]
I always love your Anniversary Stories the most, DG. Every single one has been a winner. Also I am so jealous of all the good food you got to eat, and of the part where the Cell Phone People were threatened with Expulsion. Does the rest of the audience get to participate in the escorting-out process?
Post a Comment