Saturday, November 5

March of the Morons

Last night Daltonboy and I went on a date to see "March of the Penguins" at the dollar movie. The noise level inside the theater during the entire experience kind of reminded me of a heavy metal concert. Nevertheless, I gleaned something from the film. Here are some cool things I learned about penguins:

Their parents have a big flap of skin at the bottom of their bodies, that covers up the child and keeps it quiet until it's ready to behave itself.

They generally don't suffer from ADHD.

They only make loud noises when absolutely necessary. Like if their child dies, or they're lost.

Their parents can hear and understand their cries, and they respond to them. Immediately.

They only have one child at a time.

Their parents share responsibility for the child. This means that when the mother is unavailable, the father actually does something about caring for the child, instead of sitting in a stupor looking at the snow.

They don't have fingers, so they can't wear flashing rings and wave them around in the dark theater right in front of your face. (As cool as that would look during all the sunless days of summer.)

They only eat once every three months or so, eliminating the need to carry fifty pounds of snacks with them at all times, and eliminating the large pile of refuse that accumulates within seconds of gorging on all the snacks at all times.

When it comes down to it, the parents will abandon their child to save themselves.

Lessons we can all take to heart, my friends.

2 comments:

Cicada said...

Those are indeed good lessons to be learned. I am glad that you were able to be edified by the experience.

Last night I went to Limon's to watch The Ring. I learned about loud noises. Limon said that in a psych class he took, he learned that we associate loud noises with fear. We noticed that during the movie, every time there was a scary scene or shot, it was accompanied by an aprubt loud noise. They were not all absolutely necessary. They could learn something from the penguins.

MamaJ said...

Ah, those wise penguins. The fact that they don't make loud noises and don't have to cook more than once every three months is nice indeed. (I'm already implementing the 3 month cooking thing.)

I already do hear and understand my children's cries. The difference is that I try to block them out for as long as possible by pretending I didn't hear them, or I'm asleep, or dead. Works for me.