
Lola, Daltonboy, and I were playing Trivial Pursuit, Featuring the Magic of Disney. Lola got a question about the duckbill platypus, so I started to sing the song I always sing when I hear that mammal's name. It was written by Handyman Negri for the birth of Dr. Bill and Mrs. Elsie Platypus' first child, Anna.
Ornithorhynchus Anatinus,
Anna,
Anna,
Anna.
Ornithorhynchus Anatinus,
Anna!
Anna!
Aaaaaaaaaa-na.
So then I told DB and Lola that was the scientific name for the duckbill platypus, because I thought that would make me look smart, since I was losing the game.
Lola: WHAT?!?!? Ana-penis?
Me: No, I said "Anatinus."
Hysterical laughter ensues.
Lola: Ana-penis?
Me: Um. No. I said "Anatinus." Mr. Rogers taught it to me when I was little.
Lola: Mr. Rogers taught you about penises?
Me: No. Mr. Rogers wouldn't do that, unless he felt it was really necessary to teach us something about human anatomy. But he didn't.
Lola: I can't believe Mr. Rogers would do that. What a pervert!
Me: Mr. Rogers is not a pervert!!
Lola: Ornithorhynchus, anapenis, Anna, Anna, Anna.
She couldn't finish the song because she was laughing so hard. Daltonboy was absolutely no help at all.
I love being the parent of teenagers.
Ornithorhynchus Anatinus,
Anna,
Anna,
Anna.
Ornithorhynchus Anatinus,
Anna!
Anna!
Aaaaaaaaaa-na.
So then I told DB and Lola that was the scientific name for the duckbill platypus, because I thought that would make me look smart, since I was losing the game.
Lola: WHAT?!?!? Ana-penis?
Me: No, I said "Anatinus."
Hysterical laughter ensues.
Lola: Ana-penis?
Me: Um. No. I said "Anatinus." Mr. Rogers taught it to me when I was little.
Lola: Mr. Rogers taught you about penises?
Me: No. Mr. Rogers wouldn't do that, unless he felt it was really necessary to teach us something about human anatomy. But he didn't.
Lola: I can't believe Mr. Rogers would do that. What a pervert!
Me: Mr. Rogers is not a pervert!!
Lola: Ornithorhynchus, anapenis, Anna, Anna, Anna.
She couldn't finish the song because she was laughing so hard. Daltonboy was absolutely no help at all.
I love being the parent of teenagers.
7 comments:
You think you know Mr. Rogers, but think again. Here's some little known information about him that came to me in an email from a trusted friend, who received it from a trusted friend, and so on, so I know it must be true.
"Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name! He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat."
And, he taught my kids that everybody poops.
Apparently, even Navy SEALS.
Sorry, Mama J. Your friend smokes crack. She probably didn't watch Mister Rogers as a child. I, on the other hand, watched him every day, and I have never smoked crack as a result.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp
I just remembered a fun story. I had a roommate at BYU who's dad was a big-wig at PBS. Mr. Rogers came to her birthday party when she turned 5. She wasn't that excited. Silly girl.
A related piece of information - one of my favorite episodes of Arthur is when Mr. Rogers comes to visit Arthur's family, and Arthur gets really embarrased and tries to disguise himself with a grey beard. Mr. Rogers is a very nice looking aardvark in this episode.
My very favorite episode of Arthur involves Art Garfunkle as a troubador moose.
I love both those "Arthur" episodes! My favorite guest voice of all time though, is Michael Jackson on "The Simpsons." He plays a fat white guy. This is funny because in real life Michael Jackson is a skinny white guy.
Mr. Rogers is my hero and role model, when it comes to early childhood education. I'm challenging Lola to a duel.
"The greatest gift you can give anyone is your honest self. It's the only unique gift anyone can give. Whatever I did, I would have to be myself, because I believe that is what children respond to. It's a privilege to be trusted by children. And I don't take it lightly." --Fred Rogers
I can't believe you allowed your child to use the word "penis" without appropriately punishing her. Please tell her to consider the following options:
wee wee
weiner
pee pee
dink
Thank you.
Post a Comment