Wednesday, March 28

I Know a Secret!

A friend of mine is pretty excited about The Secret. So she bought a copy of the DVD for a bunch of us to pass around. My turn came up a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't all that interested, so I didn't watch it at first, but then I started thinking that she might ask how it was going, and it would be discovered that I was the one holding everyone up, so I watched it out of guilt.

I'll say this for it: it's made me think. And in direct opposition to the premise of the video, I'm going to start off with all the negative stuff. Let's just get it out of the way, shall we?

I'm not going to comment on anyone's bad hair, or irritating speech patterns. I'm not even going to go into detail about the ultra-cheesy cinematic effects. You can discover those on your own, if you decide to watch or read it. Personally, I think they threw in some things like that as sort of a test--to weed out the unworthy. I failed. Anyway, here's what bothered me on a very fundamental level:
  1. Everyone can get whatever they want. There's plenty to go around, and not everyone wants the same things, so it all works out. If other people don't have what they want, it's because they aren't employing The Secret. That's their problem. You have the opportunity to get what you want, and so do they, so why not take it? (And even though they tried to fix it halfway through and talk about how stuff doesn't really bring happiness, there was--I felt--an inordinate focus on acquiring wealth. Maybe they were just trying to hook the viewer. I found that offensive and condescending. Yes, I'd love an iPod. No, I'm not going to try to manifest one. I'd rather focus my energy on raising happy, healthy kids, because that's what I really want.)
  2. There is no Plan for you, so go to town and do/get whatever you can dream up for yourself. (I believe there is a plan for me, and trying to get what I think I want is possibly in direct opposition to that plan. This gets complicated, but my point is that focusing too much on what you want is selfish and destructive.)
  3. If you're in a bad situation, it's your own fault for attracting it to yourself. No one has to experience pain or sorrow unless they want to. (Trials are part of life, and dealing with them in the right way is important. They should be strengthening. And sometimes the fact that you experience them has nothing to do with your thoughts or actions. "Bad things happen to good people." Let's look at Job on that.)
  4. Generations of great thinkers have possessed this "secret," but not one of them ever caught on to the fact that sharing it would be a good idea. Until now. When this depressed Australian woman got ahold of it a couple of years ago. And suddenly all the forces of evil that were following Socrates and Galileo and Benjamin Franklin around and keeping them from telling were stopped in their tracks.

Here's what I liked (which wasn't exactly a secret at all, but bears review and recommitment):

  1. Positive thinking is . . . well, positive. Positive people attract positive things/people/attitudes, and ultimately, peace and happiness.
  2. It's a good idea to be very grateful for everything that you have.
  3. The mind is powerful. It can heal sickness, alter habits, and change for the better.
  4. Goals are good. Reviewing goals is good.
  5. Your attitudes and behavior alone can go a long way toward mending troubled relationships.

So if you're interested, check it out. Or, you could always just read the New Testament.

7 comments:

Q said...

Amen! I liked your list at the end because being positive, grateful, and having goals ARE good things. So I leave you with the thought that there just can't be any other opinion on THIS subject.

Natalie Gordon said...

So, I was just sitting around, thinking positive thoughts about the secret videotape making it's way to me. And, I do believe that it will be manifest to me tomorrow.

I am going to focus all my energy on...um...wait...I can't decide yet! So many choices!

alisonwonderland said...

we already know that i'm hopelessly out of touch - but i'd never even heard of The Secret until i read your post - then on the very next blog i visited, i found a link to this. coincidence or what?!

Scully said...

My roommate's bosses (who recently divoced one another, which prompted the wife to get breast enhancement surgery and the husband to spiral until he ended up in rehab, from which he was released a week or two ago) forced their entire office to watch this and then threatened a meeting in which they would all talk about how great the video and The Secret were. This was especially great considering one of their employees had just lost his father in the Trolley Square shooting. Which the video seemed to say was all his fault.

Jenny said...

So I know this guy who watched the video and said 'The video is Satan's plan. It is truth mixed with lies'.

So there you have it. I haven't seen it, so thanks for the review.

Th. said...

.

Wow. Apparently no one I like likes it. Ergo it sucks. Got it.

Cicada said...

I thought about wanting an iPod though, and I thought about needing a new bank. And then a way to get a new iPod by signing up with a new bank presented itself to me. Coincidence?

I went shopping yesterday and I thought that I wanted to both eat a cookie AND fit into a pair of size 12 jeans. And I both ate a cookie and fit into a pair of size 12 jeans. Coincidence?

I'm sorry, Daltongirl. The evidence is in favor of all this NOT being a coincidence...

Actually, this reminds me of a conversation Switchback and I had with a woman in Maryland last week. Her husband is going to Iraq next month. She told us that she always used to pray that she wouldn't marry a military man, so "let that be a lesson to you." I immediately said, "I don't want to marry a doctor or lawyer! I don't want to marry a doctor or lawyer!" Julia added, "With a vacation home!"

I think that perhaps we have discovered The Secret.