I used to have a t-shirt that said that. It was witty and clever because I'm left-handed.
It is not, however, of my dominant hand and the higher intelligence, brain activity, and creativity that comes with it that I wish to speak. At this very moment I'm gleaning a much deeper meaning from that statement.
Left is right!
I was reading an article (in a--gasp!--liberal publication) about a certain super-hyper-ultra-mega-conservative person in the community. A person who stood to testify against virtually every bill I supported at the Legislature, and who glared at me (read: shot laser beams out of her eyes and singed my hair) when I suggested to the Health and Human Services committee that women and girls needed to be educated on the issues of sexually transmitted disease. I made it a goal to be pleasant to her, and by the end of the session we were exchanging courteous greetings, but it was clear she thought I was an amoral freak of nature. If she ever finds out I live down the street from her, I bet she starts a petition. Or moves.
Anyway, it was interesting to read about her and her family, and their questionable political exploits. Very interesting indeed. My favorite quote was of her saying, "We'd rather be right than do right."
Huh.
So I said to daltonboy, "I'm willing to concede that the quote might have been printed out of context, but can you think of a situation where saying those words would ever be acceptable?"
As usual, daltonboy came to my rescue. "Well, maybe she was talking about Dudley Doright, and she doesn't want to be like him."
And now--happy day!--that person and I have something about which we totally agree. Neither of us wants to be Dudley Doright. Next time I run into her at the grocery store, I think I'm going to bring that up.
8 comments:
A wise man (either Aristotle or James E. Faust) once said that the ends never justify the means. And, so, if you're not doing right, you can't be right. And that is why you can know good people by their good deeds.
But, you probably shouldn't listen to me. My moral perspective may be skewed... I think that if I give blood, am an organ donor, and give a kidney to a stranger that I will have better chances at getting into heaven.
Anyone need a kidney?
Left IS right! And I know I'm right about that! :o)
Where does that put those of us in the middle? Am I always wrong?
If left is right, middle is even better!
In Utah, right is too right by about half a mile. And I call myself a conservative.
Yeah - anywhere else, I'm right. Here, I'm middle. But, that's just right!
I had no idea you were left handed. OR maybe you've talked to me about left-handed scissors once and I wasn't paying attention. OR possibly when you were helping me cut out sewing stuff, I saw you using your left hand and said, "I had no idea you were left-handed" and then promptly forgot about it. Which is nice because then it's a surprise every time I find out you're left-handed.
Anyway, women and girls shouldn't be educated on sexually transmitted diseases because women and girls shouldn't be having sex unless they're married, and in marriage, they should only be having sex with a husband who has never had sex with anyone else, thus eliminating any need for any education on sexually transmitted diseases. If you educate about sexually transmitted diseases, then you're basically promoting sexual promiscuity. I've come to expect such low standards from you, being left and all.
Anywhere else, I'm in the middle.
And yeah, Cicada, we had a significant conversation about the left-handed scissors. You cut me deep.
Post a Comment