Sunday, May 20

Now THAT's what a hamburger's all about!

I know I probably shouldn't blog about this on the blessed sabbath, but it was kind of a spiritual experience . . .

If you've ever eaten fast food in California, Nevada, or Arizona, you know that In-N-Out makes the best burgers--hands down. (Comments to the contrary will not be tolerated, and will be deleted.)

If you live in Utah, you know an In-N-Out burger is hard to come by.

Until now.

Last week, living in American Fork, Utah just got a little bit cooler (as if you believed it could). A lot cooler, actually, unless you already live in an area where you can just waltz down to your corner In-N-Out and purchase a Double Double, fries, and chocolate shake made with real ice cream for under $6. You people don't know what trials are, and you don't know what it means to do without.

So I don't know all the official details, and I'm too lazy to make a phone call to find out (Heidi or David, feel free to illuminate us or leave us in the dark), but apparently some of the In-N-Out family wanted to build a restaurant half a mile from my house, and some of them didn't think this was a good idea (we've had words in the past--like that one time when the shake machine was broken). So a faction arose, in which part of the family chose A.F. I really don't know why we were chosen. It's a pretty, great place, and I live here, which are possibly reasons enough, but all we need to know is, they're here. Under the pseudonym of "Chadders."

I don't think they fooled anyone for more than a couple of seconds. The place looks like In-N-Out (minus the palm trees), it smells like In-N-Out (the torture!), the line is as long as In-N-Out's (and that means long), and it tastes so much like In-N-Out that I have decided there is no reason to drive to Henderson, NV for lunch, dinner, or between-meal snacks ever again.

Daltonboy ate there last night on our date. As we waited in line (under half an hour--oh, joy!), we watched our fellow customers dance, skip, and run rejoicing into the store. "Hurry!" "I'm SO excited!!" "I think it's like In-N-Out," people were saying.

We ate in reverent silence (except for the one time I had to slap DB for eating one of my fries). A tear fell.

I thought my life was complete when I found out The Good Earth was opening around the corner from my house. But that was only because I believed the unattainable was not to be dreamed of.

NOW I'm happy.

I hope I don't end up having to resign my post as Utah PTA's Health Commissioner on the grounds of I'm a morbidly obese hypocrite. Must resolve to eat there only sporadically . . . as soon as the initial euphoria wears off.

9 comments:

Garrett said...

I think your life was complete when you had found The Good Earth. In the church I attend, we call that Eden, it was a good place. Then Eve partook of the "forbidden fruit" and all mankind fell and temptation was introduced into the model. Sure, we needed the fall in order to have progression, but I think at some point we are supposed to stop partaking of our temptations. (I hope the sarcasm was apparent in my writting, I certainly meant no offense)

alisonwonderland said...

so when are we doing lunch?! :o)

Natalie Gordon said...

I'll be there in 30 minutes...

Where are my darn keys?

daltongirl said...

Sans: I'm so glad you stopped by, but sorry you had to witness my fall from grace.

Some people are irresistibly tempted by porn, others by heroin. In-N-Out is my bane. I'm not making any promises, but I do have one thing going for me: my body reacts quite unpleasantly when I eat wheat. Perhaps this, in conjunction with the righteous judgement of my friends, will help curb my unholy appetite.

Nat and Alison: name the day.

AmyJane said...

I made the trip from Provo to Vegas many a time (under the guise of vacation of course) mainly for In-N-Out. However, I now live two blocks from one and I have to say, I've only been there twice in a year! It's like the lure of the unattainable was part of what made it taste so special.

Lady Steed said...

LUCKY!!!

Cicada said...

Oooo, I'll join for lunch, too.

Also, you said that Daltonboy ate there on your date, so I really thought that you were being so good by actually going to the restaurant but not "partaking of the fruit." But then you said you slapped DB when he stole your fry. So methinks that you ate there, too.

Sinner.

David Rodeback said...

DG, your writing is as satisfying to the enlightened as an In-and-Out burger is to, well, all those folks in line. I marvel at the sheer number of people who love the burger so much that they feel it justifies the line and the crowd. (I am carefully not offering my own critical evaluation of that edible cultural icon.) Supposedly, the In and Out chain is tied up in probate, so they built this one under another name. It was going to be Stubby Burger, but they found that name was already in use, and it became Chadders. The pseudonym doesn't seemed to have fooled anyone for more than about three seconds, though. I ate there on what I believe was their first day open, and I had an absolute crowd of company.

David Rodeback said...
This comment has been removed by the author.