Tuesday, May 15

Too many cooks?

Daltonboy did such a great job of cooking Mother's Day dinner for me and mamaj that I decided he can be trusted in the kitchen again. (We had Thai Chicken Curry--delicious!)

Also, I'm going to be gone most of this week, so it seemed like a good idea to let everyone pitch in with the meal preparation responsibilities. I purchased groceries for easy-to-make meals, and wrote up instructions along with where to find everything and posted it on the fridge.

Daltonboy chose to make hamburgers and fries tonight. The instructions went something like this:

-Hamburger is in the bottom drawer of fridge.
-Whole wheat buns are on top of microwave.
-For fries, slice up several potatoes. Put them in a bowl with two tablespoons of olive oil and stir them up to coat. Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Daltonboy is making the dinner even as I write (he thinks I'm preparing my presentation for the conference). He said, "What kind of bowl do I cook these potatoes in?"

Me: Oh! You don't cook them in the bowl. You just mix them up in the bowl to coat them with oil and then bake them.

DB: These instructions don't say anything about taking them out of the bowl!

Me: Right. Well . . .

So maybe I was wrong to be so trusting. I'm out of here, and I don't want to know about anything that goes on while I'm gone.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

The fault is clearly yours.

I advising a friend who was painting the other day. She called to ask me which surfaces did not need to be painted. I told her not to paint the doors or the trim. Then she said, "Okay. I think I'll just start with the ceiling."

So then I got more specific.

David Rodeback said...

DG, I don't think you should blame DaltonBoy for the omission in your instructions. Just how much free do you want him to feel to interpolate or improvise between the steps you outline? (In the interest of full disclosure, I grilled hamburgers for the hundredth time, give or take, last evening. I nearly set the garage on fire for the first time.)

Lady Steed said...

Haha! People who don't cook are so funny.

What kind of bowl...hahaha!!!