Tuesday, May 22

Roughing It

I drove by the new IKEA today (took this photo while driving on the freeway, which I hear is a lot safer than talking on the phone while driving). It opens tomorrow. I was surprised to see the parking lot so full of cars, but then, there have been cars there for a while now, as they've been training the army of new employees that will soon be available to sell me cool stuff, including 59 cent reusable bags that I will take with me on future trips to Wild Oats, where the checkers will stop glaring at me when I ask for plastic bags. I'm sorry, okay? I just don't have any reusable bags right now. If only we had an IKEA . . .

Anyway, so I noticed the cars. Then I noticed the line. A long line, stretching the length of the store. People are CAMPING OUT to get in to IKEA tomorrow. They are sitting in lounge chairs in the parking lot.

Now, I'm just as excited as the next person, and I'd love to get a free one of those cute $100 chairs, but come on.

Jenny, if one of those campers is you, I'm sorry, but you're insane.

4 comments:

Cicada said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This is why I want to wait a year before I go to Ikea. It's just a STORE people. I bet if they were really creative, they could come up with a way to earn $100 in the same amount of hours that they'll be camping outside the store...

daltongirl said...

Today when I drove by, there was a big electric sign on the freeway that said, "Event Traffic Exit Here."

There were police officers directing traffic, crowds milling around outside (I think they had to let a limited number of people in at a time) under tents, and you had to walk about half a mile from your car to the store, because the parking lot was completely full. Amazing.

Lady Steed said...

What's funny is that the parking lot will NEVER stop being full...ever.

Th. said...

.

They have costume events that people still camp out for, and ours has been open for years.