Friday, September 28

Eavesdroppers, or Conspiracy Victims?

Busboy never talks on the phone in front of us. Ever. If he gets a phone call, the most we ever hear is, "Hey! What's up?" before he disappears outside or into another room. Even when his Young Men leaders call.

So imagine our surprise when the other day he took a phone call in the middle of the kitchen as the entire family cleaned up from dinner, and stayed in the room for the duration of the call. Imagine our increased surprise when he conducted this conversation in a voice loud enough that a person in the far reaches of the house could hear it.

Here it is, in all its one sidedness. Or a reasonable paraphrase of it, anyway.

"Hey! What's up?

Dude.

Yeah.

Uh-huh.

HA ha ha, HA ha.

Dude. No way.

No. I haven't even talked to them about it yet.

No way, dude. I don't think they're going to go for it.

No, I just don't see my parents going for that, so I haven't even decided if I will ask them yet.

Yeah, I know, but I still live in their house and they have rules and stuff.

I assume that was the part where the friend says, "But dude, you're eighteen. You can do whatever you want." We had no idea Busboy felt so strongly about following our rules. Good to know.

Yeah, totally.

No. I doubt I'll even bring it up to them. They aren't going to let me.

No.

Yeah.

Okay, yeah.

Right.

See ya."

And then he hung up and left the room. At that moment, my cynical mind was saying, "I bet he texted his friend and said, 'Call me. I'll see if I can get my parents to take the bait and ask what it's all about, and then I won't have to broach the subject and we'll have a way to feel them out and see what they think.'" And my uncynical mind (the smaller part) said, "You are such a jerk. Can't the kid have a phone conversation without you trying to figure out what's behind it?" And then my cynical mind said, "Yeah, right. I bet if I got ahold of his phone, there would be another text message sent immediately after the phone call saying, 'Dude. That was awesome. And now we wait.'"

And the next day Daltonboy said, "That was weird when Busboy had that phone conversation in front of us. Do you think he was trying to get us to ask what he was up to?"

Ha! Either we are in tune to the machinations of the youth, or we are equally cynical and crazy. Possibly both. And now we have plenty of time to lay in bed at night and think about what Busboy is sneaking out and doing--blowing stuff up, kidnapping girls and taking them up the canyon, TPing the principal's house . . . asking him right out would spoil the fun.

6 comments:

Natalie Gordon said...

I have some concerns about busboy and his nefarious activities, but I must admit greater concern regarding the animated conversations between the voices in your head.

If you decide he (or, you know, you...) needs electric shock treatment, let me know. I am perfecting that Jack Bauer/lamp plug technique that I was telling you about.

Also, I just looked up nefarious in the dictionary to make sure I spelled it correctly, and the definition is so awesome: flagrantly wicked or impious. That's a good one!

Sue said...

I share Natalie's concern about the voices in your head, but I feel better thinking of them more as Shoulder Angel and Shoulder Devil like Kronk. Of course, being compared to Kronk could be considered a slam, but rest assured, I was not comparing you to a lovable, yet entirely stupid, animated character, but trying to save you from Natalie's evil shock plan by making the voices seem more cuddly. Hope it worked because the shock treatment definitely sounds nefarious!

The yelloest dello said...

I thought you were getting counciling about those voices. Will they ever leave you alone?
any ways it's a good thing busboy usually doesn't read this. Of course he doesnt know what his name is. . . . . any ways when I heard that phone conversation I thought the exact same thing mom. . . . . . . . . . . nefarious minds think alike, no?

Th. said...

.

Oh, I can't wait for you to find out. Even if it takes 15 years.

Cicada said...

So... did you write this post in the hopes that he would read it and then bring it up to you? Good one, dude.

Jared said...

Lol I read this! ...it just takes forever. Haha it's been so long that I can't remember what that conversation was about, but after I came back in, I had a conversation while unloading the dishes about how Ryan's a moron for flirting with Jaicee. (long story)

You know me, I always think that if it's important enough to know, you'll ask me. :)