Saturday, January 19

Not Quite Liberal

On the flight home I sat next to a very nice woman who, when I put my David Sedaris book away, expressed a desire to chat with me. Ordinarily I prefer not to talk to people on the plane, but since we were only about ten minutes from landing, I was happy to oblige her.

In the course of our conversation I found out that she

1) is a watercolor artist
2) grew up not five miles from where I live now
3) enjoys reading David Sedaris herself but has not read this particular book
4) attended BYU
5) finds her work to be stressful
6) is not blessed with the gift of tact. This came out a couple of times--most noticeably when she asked if I had gone to school with a friend of hers, who graduated from high school in 1967. For the record, I was three years old.

She asked me if I was a member of the LDS faith. I unabashedly responded that I am indeed. She then volunteered this information:

"I'm no longer a Mormon, so I'm quite liberal."

Apparently practitioners of that faith are not liberal, and if one chooses not to remain of that faith, they automatically become liberal.

Not that I'm clamoring to be labeled as a liberal, but what might you call a David Sedaris fan, if not leaning that way?

2 comments:

Cicada said...

I'd call a David Sedaris fan "semi-active" at best. Even though David Sedaris fans may attend their church meetings, they are semi-active at heart, I'm sure of it.

Th. said...

.

Also, they're evil. And have great senses of humor.