Monday, March 10

One down . . .

Last Wednesday we said goodbye to daltonman for two years. He's finally gone, and we didn't even have to say angry words or kick him out--he left us with tears, hugs, and expressions of love. What could be better?

The week before he left wasn't the easiest, due to some procrastination and subsequent freaking out on the part of daltonman and some unnecessary stressing out by me, but we got through it. Some people don't like to have things sprung upon them, like the information that items they consider to be personal property are not actually owned by them, and will be distributed to other family members after they are gone. When daltonman found out he was going to be turning his cell phone over to Lola, he was unhappy at first. He eventually saw the light, though, and came to terms with it. Because pointing out that we were not going to pay for phone service on a phone that was sitting in a box for two years actually made some sense to him. Also pointing out that he could get a new, cooler phone when he comes back. And that his phone will be long obsolete by then.

Also, he lent me his video iPod to use while he's gone, after some gentle teaching took place, wherein certain parties were led to understand that certain other parties were making some big sacrifices for them, and that a small token of appreciation (such as not leaving a cool piece of equipment in a box for two years when someone else might be enjoying it) would be in order. It was also pointed out that the certain other parties could and would replace said cool equipment if it became damaged or destroyed. I think that helped.

Anyway, we dropped him off at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) and had a lovely time doing it. I got to do the allegedly traditional "Affixing of the Nametag" by the mom, which was sort of sweet, if not a little cheesy. I say "allegedly traditional" because I went to the MTC as a missionary, I took both my brother and my sister to the MTC, and no one ever affixed a nametag on any of us. Maybe because our mom wasn't there--who knows? But I never saw anyone else do it, either. So if it is a tradition, it's a new one, which is okay, I guess.

Then we went to this big meeting, where they showed those sappy Mormon commercials--you know the ones. And that made us all cry before the meeting ever got started. Then we said goodbye, and daltonman broke down crying, which was something, because he didn't even cry in "The Notebook."

It was a lot sadder than I thought it would be. I had been so looking forward to getting him out of the chair in front of the computer that I thought I wouldn't feel bad to see him go, but I really did. This was a sweet feeling to have, actually. Fortunately, I thought to take Kleenex with me.

I remembered the sage advice of my friend David, and though I was tempted, I did not leave daltonman with the parting words of, "Be good." I told him I love him and I'm proud of him. That made him cry more, which made me feel powerful. And it made me cry more, too.

Lola sobbed her little heart out all the way to the car, until daltonboy got tired of hearing her cry and said, "Hey. Lola. Why don't you send someone a text message? That ought to make you feel better." And then we all laughed and laughed, and she got out her new phone and started texting. Oh, the consolation a cell phone offers!

We went out to lunch at Applebee's, which I mention here because they were nice enough to give us a free lunch, because we were nice enough to choose them to celebrate our happy day. Remember that when you're out celebrating something.

And then we came home. A family of four. I took the leaf out of the kitchen table (not that minute) and we removed daltonman from the Family Home Evening chart. Every time I come in the front door I think, "So help me, if I walk in and see him sitting there staring at the computer screen . . ." Daltonboy wondered (at ten minutes to church time yesterday) if he should go down and wake daltonman up. Other than that, I've pretty much forgotten all the frustration, and now in my mind he's suddenly a golden boy that never gave me any trouble or a moment's concern.

It's weird not to have him here. But we're so happy for him and proud of him, and so excited that he's finally doing something worthwhile and productive, that we wouldn't have it any other way.

Two more to go . . .

1 comment:

Cicada said...

My grandparents were sad to see my dad go on his mission. After his mission, it took two weeks before they were fed up with him and pushed him out the door.