If I listen to a recorded book, does it count as reading?
One definition of the word read is to hear and understand, as in, "I read you loud and clear." Could it be inferred that if I hear and understand the person that is reading aloud, I too am reading?
It just sounds so lame to say "I listened to 'Crime and Punishment'," and so much cooler to say I read it. After all, it's not like I'm watching the movie or reading the CliffsNotes and then pretending to have read the book, right? I actually experienced all the words that are on the printed page--just through my ears instead of my eyes.
The thing is, if I listen to books, I can knit at the same time, thus increasing my productivity and improving my mind. Since most of the books I listen to are read by British people, I can work on my accent as well--in case I am ever called upon to play the role of Miss Haversham. Win, win!
So. Have I made a compelling case for being allowed to say, "Yeah, I read that"? Because right now I'm reading "Cranford," by Elizabeth Gaskell, and it's delightful.
3 comments:
On one hand, unabridged listening sounds like valid reading to me, and I enjoy it. On the other hand, I've actually read in the old fashioned way three or four of the Harry Potter series, and I've heard the rest on unabridged audio -- but my children do not allow me to say I've read the entire series. So don't ask them.
i absolutely count "listening" as "reading"! in fact, right now i'm reading Michael J. Fox's Lucky Man during my drives to and from the office.
If you're learning it, I vote it counts as reading. The whole being able to knit at the same time is a definite plus. Maybe I should consider doing that.
As a side note, I'm rereading Crime and Punishment for my english class right now. I think it's a good book. :)
Post a Comment