Monday, July 27

By George, I think she's got it!

I know how it goes in Spain, but in Ohio things are different.

The snow in Cincinnati stays mainly on the plane.*

I'm sitting on this plane (some people might call it more of a minivan with wings), and snow is literally falling from the ceiling into my lap. Seriously. Snow. The warm weather prevented it from collecting in a drift on my person, but it tried. At one point a hail nugget dropped on my leg.

So I'm thinking, should I say something before we take off? Because 1) this plane is seriously scary already, and 2) what if they didn't de-ice the plane very well, and there was a hole in the fuselage, and it was melting down into the cabin, and long story short, we were all going to die and it would be my fault for not bringing it up. (I'm not much of a catastrophist. Also, in my panic I failed to consider that if it was melting, it would have been rain, not snow.)

So I brought it to the flight attendant's attention as a matter of civic duty. At that point, several other passengers brought up the fact that it seemed to be snowing on them as well. Too bad they weren't going to get the credit for saving all our lives. The flight attendant said, kind of bored, "Yeah, it's condensation." Everyone else settled back into their seats. I could have come up with a few reasons why that didn't automatically make it safe, but he just seemed so bored that I guessed he had had more than one passenger complaint about the snow. I kept my mouth shut. But condensation, sir, collects around my water glass in the form of water. And it doesn't fall from the ceiling as indoor snow. Ever.

After takeoff, the snow stopped abruptly. My theory at the time was that the fuselage iced over again and stopped melting down through the hole. But since the flight was only twenty minutes, there wasn't really time to crash. That's what I'm telling myself.

All's well that ends well. I still hate those tiny planes, even though everyone gets a window seat.

*Growing up, I always thought it went, "the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane." And I could never quite get that image out of my head, even when I figured out that it was probably the plain.

No comments: