Wednesday, February 9

Veggie Love

I've been holding out on sharing this first story, because it makes me look like an idiot. But since I wouldn't be shy about making someone else look like an idiot, it's hardly fair for me to keep my own antics secret. So here it is.

We went out to dinner the other night, and I picked an entree that sounded delicious. It also appeared to be a vegetarian dish, which appealed to me, so I asked, just to make sure. It was. Then it was time to order my salad. The one I really wanted had turkey bacon bits in it, but after asking about the vegetarian thing I was embarrassed to order it, so I took the one that didn't sound nearly as delicious. Seriously? Because I was afraid the servers would talk about me in the kitchen? What am I, 14?? I started kicking myself as soon as they brought my unremarkable salad, and I've felt stupid ever since. Chances are pretty good that if I had ordered the one I wanted in the first place, I might have felt sheepish for a few minutes, but the delicious salad would have canceled out those feelings. Live and learn.

In other veggie news, I decided to go grocery shopping without a list and buy everything on impulse. Bright idea!

Side note: both Lola and I have had this weird flu for the past week. I've noticed that she has been acting a little crazy--a little like a pre-teen. Hmm . . .

Anyway, impulse shopping. Here's what I got: acorn squash, bok choy, parsnips, sweet potatoes, kale, and some of those cool purple potatoes I've always wanted to try. I also got a bag of salt and vinegar chips, which I ate on the way home. Daltonboy was afraid the rest of it would languish in the fridge until it turned into sludge, but it's almost gone, and it has all been delicious. Tonight I'm going to cook the purple potatoes. I hope they're yummy.

Then last night we found ourselves lying in bed talking about vegetables.

Daltonboy: Why am I lying in bed talking about vegetables and salivating? What have you done to me????

1 comment:

Megan said...

Just in case you're expecting the purple potatoes to taste like berries or something... they don't. They taste like other potatoes even though they look prettier.

:) Didn't want you to be let-down at dinner!