Tuesday, August 30

Old Lady Goes to College, Day 1

First off, at least I'm not this lady. It could be worse. And a lot funnier.
Note: Please don't spend too much time on this site--some of it is trashy.

Go Wolverines!

Okay, so my first day back at school in almost 20 years was not awesome, but not a disaster. I only hyperventilated twice. A few highlights:
  • I apparently did not get the campus-wide memo that it was short-shorts day.
  • Started the semester right off with an email to my distance-ed course instructor asking how to use this newfangled computer-type thing. She responded with the suggestion to call the IT guys. Called them. Ha!! Vindicated!! The assignment I couldn't find, that is due today? Not there. She is so busted. HaHA!!
  • First class started out with the ADHD/Dyslexic instructor telling us she understands if we need to miss class to take our kids to the doctor or whatever, and just to let her know if life interferes with school. She'll understand. I relaxed very much after that.
  • Second class ended with instructor asking me if I was a post-bac student, and offering to give me private tutoring to "get you up to speed." Very, very nice, but yikes. Up to speed?
  • Third class ended with instructor pretty much telling me in a very nice way to get out because I'm destined to fail unless I take at least two pre-requisites first (which were not mentioned to me when I got permission from the department to take the class). And that's when I started hyperventilating.
  • My super-cool genuine leather satchel that I got for $1 at a yard sale is not going to cut it. Must buy gigantic backpack. Or maybe one of those rolling suitcases. That will definitely up my cool factor. But how else am I going to fit my 5" binder in there along with all my ten-pound textbooks and my lunch?
  • There is a Starbucks in the library. Right inside. Where you can purchase foodstuffs and eat them wherever you darn well please. In the stacks. At the computer, while you watch Titanic on DVD. In my day . . . I listened to opera that the tech guys loaded on reel-to-reel tapes, while sneaking bites of my granola bar when the library police weren't looking.
  • I got a bus pass, because it was 1/3 the price of a parking pass. On the ride home, a nice young man offered me his seat. I yelled "Booyah!" at all the 20-something girls who had to stand all the way to Sandy, and plopped myself down, gratefully.
  • I have an awesome iPad app that helps me keep track of all my assignments and notes and stuff. Will it cancel out the social faux pas of the rolling pilot case? That remains to be seen.
And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a pile of homework to do before I get dinner on the table. I would have picked something up at Starbucks, but daltonboy hates biscotti.

3 comments:

LadyEm said...

You're going to do great! I always hated first days of school, but there's nothing like the last day (or completing the last final!) Good luck.

pretty darn prosaic said...

I'm hyperventilating just reading this! I finished up my bachelors about 11 years ago as an old lady, and boy did I feel intimidated!! What a heart attack. I feel for you BIG TIME!!

Nemesis said...

I love this story and you are awesome. I hope Daltonboy took a picture of you in your back-to-school outfit!