Sunday, October 15

The Stuff We Stole

And you thought yard sales were over. Not so! The weather turned warm last week, and a lot of people decided to throw one last party by pitching all their junk out on their lawns and letting the community come and pick through it.

Naturally, daltonboy and I participated. This week, however, while proving fruitful in the extreme bargain area, as usual, also provided us with opportunities to steal stuff and not pay for it.

1. We bought a 4 megapixel digital camera for ten bucks. This is an improvement on the 2 megapixel piece of junk I've been using. In the camera we found a 1 gigabyte compact flash card. Not so sure if the guy wanted to throw that in. DB justified the theft all afternoon by randomly saying things like, "I'm sure that guy's new camera has a faster card in it. I'm sure he knew it was in there, and just didn't want it anymore."

2. At the last sale of the day, we found a house with stuff all over the driveway and yard, but no people sitting out watching. We started looking around. I didn't really see anything that interested me, until DB saw a sign taped to the mailbox reading, "Everything is FREE!" At that point I decided it was worth searching. I found a brand new pair of Mudd jeans for Lola, a pair of Skechers boots, and a bunch of cute kids clothes for our neighbors (who tried to secretly move away to avoid having us leave stuff on their porch every week, but we found them! Ha HA!). You may think it's weird to root around in a stranger's garage and hand them a couple of bucks for their cast offs, but I can tell you it feels even weirder to walk away from a stranger's yard with your arms full of clothes and not have even interacted with anyone.

In addition to the free stuff, we got lots of other cool stuff for cheap. And next week there's a big community fund raiser sale at the library! I never thought it would last so long. I usually go into a deep depression (occasionally requiring medication) at the beginning of October, knowing that it will be May before we are able to purchase unused clothing with the tags still on for fifty cents a pop. I'm thinking about writing a yard sale guide during the slow months. It will feature a tirade directed at people who make their signs too small to be read without a magnifying glass, and who price their stained, worn-out, eighties-style clothing higher than D.I. does (who, in turn, prices their stained, worn-out, eighties-style clothing higher than Old Navy's brand new, stylish sale stuff). That project may help me pull through.

1 comment:

Cicada said...

Do they sell temple recommends at the yard sales, because maybe you can buy a new one instead of renewing on account of you can't say that you're honest in your dealings with your fellow man now.

If you can find an iPod nano, iPod running shoes, and iPedometer at a garage sale, steal them for me, will you?