The other day I was out performing some valuable community service when I noticed that it was almost dinner time. We had a schedule to meet, and if I wasn't cooking dinner right about then, it was going to throw us off for the rest of the evening.
I called home and asked daltonboy if he'd be willing to get dinner started. I am reluctant to do this, normally. DB is not a chef, and being in the kitchen tends to make him . . . agitated. Fortunately, I had the menu posted and all the groceries purchased. The recipe wasn't going to be complicated. DB said he would be willing, so I relaxed and took my time finishing up.
When I got home, the meal was just about ready. It was a delicious vegetable and pasta dish with a creamy cheese sauce, which was almost thickened and ready. There was a bowl of additional sauce to be combined with that on the stove just before serving.
Daltonboy was reading through the recipe. "A CUP of hot sauce?" he said. "Do we even HAVE that much hot sauce?"
Hmm. That's a LOT of hot sauce. I'm thinking Lola might not do so well with that much hot sauce. I begin wondering which hot sauce we should use (we have a variety), and am making plans to dissuade daltonboy from using that much (he insists on following recipes to the letter), and especially wanting to deter him from using Tabasco.
"What does it say?" I ask.
"Add one cup of hot sauce to the mixture in the bowl," DB says.
Hmm. That's a LOT of hot sauce. Also, when I did the menu and grocery list, I don't remember seeing anything that called for hot sauce.
"What does the list of ingredients say?" I ask.
"It's not on the list. What the heck? This recipe book is crap!" DB says.
Hmm. That really is a LOT of hot sauce. I decide to read through the recipe myself.
"After sauce has thickened, add one cup of hot sauce to the mixture in bowl. Mix, and combine remaining sauces."
Ah.
I point to the stove. "Sauce," I say. "Hot. Sauce."
Daltonboy rolls his eyes.
"Aaaaand, I'll be blogging about this," I say.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that. I love the stories about DB in the kitchen.
Post a Comment