Sunday, July 20

It's in a museum. It must be art.

Yesterday we went to the Museum of Modern Art. We found ourselves at different places along the spectrum of "Huh? What the crap?" You can guess where I end up. Always moderate, always reasonable. I don't have to tell you.



This was a cool red thing. This couple studied it for a really, really, really long time. After I got done studying it (in about five seconds), I started studying them. They would sit, stare, discuss, stand up, walk over, point out some subtlety in the red, stand back, stare some more, go back sit down, examine, and, well, you get the idea. Watching them was fun.

Watching people either worshipping or laughing hysterically at the art was worth the price of admission. And that was not cheap.

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of abstract art is cool and interesting, and that the stuff I don't like can frequently be interpreted in different ways, and what has zero meaning to me may have deep meaning for another. But when it comes to stuff like this,


I find myself at a bit of a loss.

Lola found meaning in everything. Even this:


It's a brown square. With a purple border. Please.

Daltonboy, you may have already guessed, falls on the "What the crap is that? Wait. Don't answer. I don't care. I'll be waiting outside." end of the spectrum. No respect for the attitude of "We're in New York. Let's pretend we have a little culture." I got a kick out of trying to capture his various expressions of disbelief.





I took sadistic pleasure in saying things like, "Did you see the giant square of red jello?" or "Hey! You've got to check out the three-foot wide matching piles of crap they have in that gallery over there. One's silver and one's gold." And watching his head explode.

After MoMA, we took a palate cleansing walk through Central Park and headed over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where everyone found something to their liking, and we all left happy. Also, we left feeling like we hadn't been stiffed. To avoid an embarrassing scene (lunch at MoMA had cost $40 and nerves were wearing thin), I left DB at the bag check and went to buy the tickets myself. The woman selling tickets said, "Suggested donation, $50." I said, "How about $25?" She said, "If you like," and rung me up. That's the kind of admission price I can love. And for $15 less, the art was exceedingly superior. I mean, did MoMA show me the actual costume Robert Downey, Jr. wore in "Iron Man"? No. They did not. Nor did MoMA show me this:

Now that's some art the masses can get behind!

6 comments:

Sue said...

OK, I take pleasure in reading your posts and laughing uproariously, but this one takes the cake. My significant other and I read it simultaneously on our own laptops while sitting in our living room and both about fainted from laughing so hard. This has to be your best post EVER! And those pictures of DB: priceless!!!!!

MTDA said...

Cicada and I have been chatting about your post and she said I could tell you; "I wouldn't expect lowly ignoramuses to enjoy the finest art." as long as you know that I like you very much.

All I will say is in the immortal words of the Transformers cartoon:

There is: More than meets the eye.

I realize the fact that I had to got to a cheesy 80's cartoon to try and prove my point nullifies it completely.........oh well.

I am glad you and a good time and the art you say at least provided you that.

Cicada said...

(Except that I have to add that for me, a lot of the fun going to a modern art exhibit is looking at some pieces [like the suit] and saying, "What the...?" Also, the couple getting all the way into that red piece cracks me up. I look at that stuff and I can say, "Ooo, I like that" but I like it because of the colors. Not because I find meaning in the mid-left-hand corner that has slightly more red than the lower-left-hand corner.)

MTDA said...

There is so much for you all to learn. How is that for eletism.

daltongirl said...

While I was writing this post I was vaguely aware in some corner of my mind that if I had taken time to stare at the big brown square long enough, I may have seen something; however, I still don't believe that even if I did see something, I would find it profound enough to justify the time spent searching for it. Wouldn't it be ironic, though, if the brown square turned out to be "robots in disguise"?

And Murray, I can't imagine you ever saying anything that would offend me--even without the disclaimer. So effuse away about your giant red rectangles and how lowly and ignorant I am. Bring it on!

Also, I take a HUGE amount of comfort in the fact that David Sedaris says that only people on drugs can really appreciate that stuff. I am not on drugs. Murray? What's your story?

MTDA said...

Art IS my drug....and Cicada.