Here's a life lesson: when it comes to Star Trek and dating, it's important to strike a proper balance. One must not come across as too freakishly Trekkie. On the other hand, Star Trek is part of American pop culture--being too clueless might not be a good idea either.
My friend Sakhmet went on a date last night with a guy who asked her, as one of his "getting to know you" questions, whether or not she's ever been to the future birthplace of Captain Kirk.
This reminds me a little bit of the time I went on a blind date with a guy who asked me, as one of his "getting to know you" questions, if I had seen any movies lately. I told him I'd seen Star Wars Episode I. (It had just come out that summer.) He said he didn't realize there was a Star Trek movie out. I said there wasn't. He said, "Wait a minute. Star Wars, Star Trek--are those two different movies?"
Neither of these men have a future in relationships with anyone I know.
Man #1: Unless your date meets you at the door wearing pointy ears and a comm badge, don't bring up Star Trek on the first date--even if her hometown is only an hour and a half from that of a major character's.
Man #2: Give me a break. How long did you say you've lived in that cave?
As always, we can look to daltonboy for the supreme example of one who knows how to play it cool in dating. Only after he found out that I had dressed up as Lt. Saavik for Halloween in 1983 (I make no excuses) did he reveal to me that he was in possession of a comm badge and a Star Trek Encyclopedia, as well as copies of every Star Trek movie on VHS. Fortunately, he has never owned an English/Klingon translation dictionary, or that may have been the end of things. As it was, I was able to pronounce us even, and believe we can enjoy a long and happy life together. Sakhmet's date had better start scouting around for someone else.
3 comments:
I grok Spock.
When dating, it's also important not to put too much stock in the lack of Star Trek or Star Wars knowledge in a possible future mate. In my own case, I would have passed up a great husband if that had been the litmus test. But 24 years with me has indoctrinated him in the ways of the Force and Trek. Moral: be flexible and work on him after.
If Sakhmet had been to the future anything, she could have chosen to go just one more week into the future when she'd discover that her date was engaged to someone else and had already bought property with her. I'm just saying.
Post a Comment