Monday, November 17

I wasn't wearing a flag pin

Yesterday while teaching Sunday School I had a great opportunity to practice my frozen smile while trying not to let my eyes pop out of my head.

Comment #1

Old lady: We were all really disappointed when Obama got elected . . .

Me (raising eyebrows): Uh . . .

Her husband (very loud): TCH!

Old lady: Oh. Well, anyway . . .

Comment #2

Different old lady: We have the dark people taking over our government, and we're going to have to get used to that.

Whoa.

If I didn't know these ladies, and know them both to be very sweet, mostly tolerant and loving people, I would probably been a lot more upset. Also, it's only fair to say that they both went on to qualify their remarks and attempted to rescue what were totally inappropriate statements, but it's more fun here to just leave them as they are. And Comment #2 was by a woman I suspect may be going a little senile, based on other things she's said and done recently. Still. What does one do? I just smiled my frozen smile and tried really hard to change the subject. Since I was in charge, and am mostly cool under pressure, it wasn't that hard to do.

4 comments:

Cicada said...

Ack! I have no idea what I would have done!

Lola said...

I don't know what I would have done.
I probably would have like............killed someone.
Or such.

chosha said...

The first one wasn't inappropriate, as far as it went. She's allowed to be disappointed, especially if she didn't vote for the guy.

But the second comment...wow.

Th. said...

.

Hooboy. I can't imagine the riot in my ward following either comment....