Thursday, April 15

More Customer Unservice

Me: Hi. I ordered a personalized credit card [because they're free] about a month ago, and I received an email telling me it was on its way, but I haven't received it yet. Can you check on that?

Customer Unservice Rep: Well, it arrives in a plain white envelope. It looks like junk mail. So maybe you already received it and threw it away.

So you just checked, and it's been sent, and that's your answer?

Me: I suppose that's possible, but my husband received his card, and we didn't throw that away.

CUR: When you ordered the card, did you log in to your account on your husband's login, or yours?

Me: I don't know. Probably my husband's.

Could you just check, and see if something's been ordered, or sent, or ANYTHING?

CUR: That's the problem. You need to log in on your own account, otherwise your card won't be processed.

Me: Well, I received an email saying it had been processed, and that it was on its way.

Please just check. I beg you.

CUR: I understand that, but they won't process it unless you log in on using your login.

Me: Even though they said they did?

CUR: That's right.

Me: I'm having a hard time understanding that.

CUR: Just do it on your own login, do the whole thing over, and you'll get your card.

Thanks for checking. 'Preshatcha.

Now I'm just spitballing here, but doesn't it seem like if your people KNOW two seconds in to the conversation what the problem is, that they've dealt with it more than about twenty times? And doesn't it seem like you'd want to fix something on a) your Web site, or b) your process, so that people would know they had to use their own login to get their own card? And doesn't it seem like maybe you'd stop sending out confirmation emails when you had no intention of following through on them?

Also, I've been asking this question for almost ten years now: why can't my husband and I, who share our accounts, use the same login? Why? I have never been able to get a straight answer, unless you count the one of, "You should find a new bank."

1 comment:

Natalie Gordon said...

I once said to the lady behind the counter at Wal-Mart (I know, it's my own darned fault), "You call yourself a Courtesy Clerk, and yet, I see no courtesy. And she is a Customer Service Specialist, and yet, I, the customer, am not receiving any service, let alone special service. How can we remedy this?" Then, I left and did not go back for 10 years. I loathe bad customer service. Find a new bank. One that doesn't suck. It will be worth the hassle in the long run. And, then, write the management a lovely letter outlining how they lost your business. You'll be doing them a favor. Also, you're the funniest person I know.