
Yes, I remember where I was and what I was doing on September 11, 2001 when I got the news. That was a hard, hard day. But what I remember most about that day and the days that followed was the feeling of reverence I had--at home, and as I went about my daily business in the community. Everyone had their flags out, everyone felt pretty much the same way. We were unified in grief. It was awesome. I felt so connected to my community and my country.
I also remember that there was a lot of prayer. I prayed, for the people who lost loved ones, for those who were involved in the rescue efforts, and for all of us--that my kids wouldn't be scarred, but that they would feel something, that we could find peace, that we could feel safe. Then there were community prayers. Everywhere you turned, people were praying, talking about prayer, gathering to pray. It was really awesome. I felt so connected to my community and to God.
Over the past ten years, we have moved on with our lives, doing what grieving people do, trying to work this thing out. Some of that has been good. Some of it has fostered more community, more emergency preparedness, more faith, more goodness. Some of it has not been good. Innocent people have been victims of horrible hate crimes and bigotry. Partisan politics continue to tear at the country. We are at war, along with much of the rest of the world, and more lives have been lost. A bunch of other stuff that I don't understand, but that has taken away that feeling of reverence and some of that sense of connection to others--especially many in our world community.
I don't know much more than that. But I do know that when we were all praying, things were sad, but it felt better. I do know that God loves His children, and delights to bless them when they turn to Him. I know He wants us to love one another. I know that He is the only one that can help us make sense out of craziness. I know that the feeling of reverence I felt everywhere I went in the days after 9/11 was healing, and that I feel it every time I worship God. Yes, I can do that any time, anywhere, but I'd prefer to do it with everyone else. I'd prefer that we all turned to Him for solutions and healing and peace. I believe that when we do, He will turn our hearts to each other, and we will truly know the balm of Gilead.
Here's someone who feels the same way, and says thing a lot more eloquently than I do.
Also, daltonboy took the picture. He's awesome.
1 comment:
Love your words. Love the picture. Your both awesome.
Post a Comment