
Taylor cut all her hair off and donated it to Locks of Love. This makes her sound very giving and benevolent, which she mostly is. This time she just wanted a change, and wanted short hair, and I told her it was already so long there was no way I was letting her waste all that hair by throwing it away, so if it wasn't long enough to donate, I wasn't going for it.
This resulted in the measuring of the hair, and finding that it may or may not be long enough (ten inch minimum). This resulted in much whining and complaining about how she just HAD to have her hair cut. This resulted in me pulling up the Locks of Love Web site and showing her photos of all the little bald kids that are being tortured by their classmates because they look weird. This resulted in her crying and sobbing out that she WOULD give her hair to them, no matter what.
I always win, b/c I am a cunning mom. So we headed off to Fantastic Sam's, which I would never darken the door of, except that they sponsor LOL, and haircuts are free there. So cheapness won out over good haircut. Also, it's not my hair.
Sam has prudently hired several surly young women with big, Young Women Leader hair. Apparently the marketing strategy there is that they want every customer to come on a first-time only basis. They did not want to cut Taylor's hair, probably b/c they weren't going to get any cash out of it, and also they insisted that it would be too short when they were done.
Surly YWL Stylist: It's going to be up over your ears!
Taylor: That's okay with me.
SYWLS: It's going to be like an inch long over your ears.
Me: She says that's fine.
SYWLS: But it's going to be too short.
Too short for what? To look like you? Fine. Your hair is stupid.
Customer who is waiting for her daughter's hair to be cut: I think it will be cute.
SYWLS: I just think it's going to be too short.
Me: Well, if you think you can't get ten inches out of it, we can wait.
Taylor looks anguished.
SYWLS: I'm not worried about that. I just think it's going to be too short.
Anyway, it went on like that for a while, and after Taylor promised (practically had to swear in blood) that she wouldn't get mad, no matter what happened,
SYWLS: No mad!
she finally decided to cut the dang hair.
Me: She says it's okay.
SYWLS: But is it okay with you?
Me: Um, well, it's her hair.
Also, it will grow back. People don't seem to be aware that it will grow back, no matter what.
Apparently stylists aren't used to people who allow their children their own hair rights. She looked at me like I was totally nuts. And it's really cute, and not even that short. And now some little bald child will have beautiful auburn hair, and Taylor's will grow back someday, and then I'll show her the Web site again and we'll go through the whole thing. Only next time I'm going to the other LOL sponsor, even Great Clips. Because those people are supposedly nice. They may not be fantastic, but they will be nice.
2 comments:
Most of my life, I have had short hair. It's been varying degrees of short, but fairly consistently short. During my freshman year, when it was mostly-short, I got really sick of it. So I took a pair of scissors and went to the bathroom and I cut my hair all off. It ended up being barely longer than a buzz cut, and you know what? I loved it, and I even think I looked cute. I didn't get any dates, but if we based my dating success on the length of my hair then we could say that I don't get dates when my hair is short, medium-length, or long. I guess bald is the only option left to me.
Anyway. So I'd wear cute little handkerchiefs on my head because that was cool back then. My bishop's wife pulled me aside one day and said, "Do you hate your hair?" How do you even respond to that? Apparently she didn't hate it... but she thought that I was covering up my ugly hair cut with handkerchiefs because I hated it. Oh well. It grew out.
People can just shut up. Taylor has had short hair before and it was really cute on her! Plus it'll be easier to take care of, and her hair is such a beautiful color that maybe she won't have to grown it down to her knees in Laura Ingalls Wilder style to drive men wild for her. Sheesh.
Cicada, I pretty much always love your hair. And I think a funny thing to say to your bishop's wife's "Do you hate your hair?" comment would be "No, but the chemo apparently does."
Post a Comment