Friday, July 15

Yes, I Love Technology . . .

Always and forever.

Sean told me I'm hippencool b/c I have a blog. That means a lot to me. When a teenager tells you you're hippencool, it definitely means a lot. As opposed to the librarian at the help desk. That doesn't mean so much. (nemesis, if you post a response complaining about librarian bashing, so help me . . .)

Anyway, in my quest to become ever more hippencool, I decided to raise the technology level around here a little. I ordered the following items, using the Internet, of course:

1. Harry Potter 6--guaranteed to arrive on the release date of July 16.
2. New cell phones on a family plan so Bret can have one too. They are cool camera phones, too. Also, we're paying the same amount as we were with one phone.
3. Eyetimer--a TV/computer Nazi system that turns the stuff off when the kids've had too much.

Here's what went down:

Amazon emailed me and said my shipment wasn't guaranteed. After I almost panicked, before I remembered that I'm forty-one years old and a teen book about witchcraft isn't that important really, I read the news and found out that was a mistake, and I'll be getting the book on Saturday evening, just in time to put it on the shelf to wait for Monday reading.

The cell phones never came. In fact, they cancelled the order without giving me a reason why. So I calmly ordered some more from someone else. Those didn't come as promised in twenty-four hours either. This was about two weeks ago. They just arrived today, and are as cool as promised. Unfortunately, when they arrived yesterday, the FedEx guy couldn't leave them because I wasn't home. So I had to wait at home all day today on the off chance that he'd show up, which he did. He did not seem too thrilled about having to come to my house twice. Either that, or he just wasn't thrilled about life.

The TV Nazi started loading on the computer beautifully, and got to the point where it took control over the machine and refused to allow anyone to touch it. Reminded me of HAL a little bit. I'm pretty sure it was almost at the point where it was going to start killing off family members. So after repeated calls to the tech support people, who don't answer their phone because they only have three people working there, I finally got the whole thing uninstalled and have my computer back. Only the system reset I had to do caused all the work to be undone that I had been chatting online with the tech support guy from Earthlink about (totally separate issue), so I had to go back and do all that over.

So I have no Harry Potter and no TV Nazi, but I do have a blog and a cool camera phone, so I'm still hippencool. For the next week I think I'll scrapbook or something that doesn't involve anything high tech. I'm exhausted.

No comments: