
vs.

Appearances can be deceiving.
A couple of weeks ago we decided that it was selfish and wasteful of us not to partake of the variety of winter sports that are available to us in the Rocky Mountains to our immediate east. So, once again, we packed the tubes into the back of the truck and headed up the canyon. Unlike last time, we were well prepared for the cold and wet, including appropriate footwear and a giant tub of hot chocolate.
We were a little scared of the tubes. You can read about the hell that is tubing on the Provo River here. Cicada's corroborating story can be found here. If you just want the recap, picture Lola being thrown off her tube by a rock and sucked under a large branch, while everyone else but me continued to be swept downriver. And persons with less than 5 percent body fat (three out of five of us) suffering from hypothermia.
Our tubing experience in the mountains was completely different. The day was sunny and warm. We shed our protective outer clothing almost as soon as we arrived. We had a hill all to ourselves, with sled runs already packed into it, including two levels of difficulty. No trees tried to kill us, no rocks rose up to slash at our skins. The only near casualties were daltonboy's camera bag, which came very close to being run over by a speeding tuber, and daltonboy himself, who, forgetting he's not eighteen anymore, decided to throw himself on a moving tube in order to get a faster start. His head snapped back and made a sizable crater in the snow, but aside from a stiff neck, no harm done.
In fact, the above photo of Busboy was a recreation--he had so much fun being thrown off the first time he decided to do it again for the photo op.
Two hours later when the sun went down and we started to feel a chill in the air, we (smiling and laughing) gathered our scattered gloves and coats and headed back to the car. We didn't even need the hot chocolate, but who in their right mind would waste a good vat of cocoa? Not us.
I never liked summer anyway. As soon as I can convince the rest of them, we're moving to Canada!
2 comments:
I think moving to Canada is a brilliant plan. Plus if you injure yourself while tubing you don't have to wonder how much it will cost to reattach severed limbs.
That (the snow tubing) looks like awesome good fun! I haven't seen snow many times as it doesn't snow in my home state, but we used to go ice blocking in the summer. You basically sit on a big block of ice and slide down a grassy hill - SO FAST! So many grass stains, but great fun.
I love your jukebox, by the way. I always leave your blog open even after I've read it, so I can hear the whole list.
Post a Comment