Wednesday, June 11

Buried Treasure

We just finished digging up 128 cubic feet of dirt in our garden, in an attempt to turn it into rich and fertile gardening soil. It was a long and arduous process, what with all the shoveling and the sifting and the digging and the chopping up of roots, and heaving out of rocks, but it was not without rewards. The first real reward will be reaped next year when we don't have to plant our vegetables in a rock pile.

The hope of unearthing human remains was what kept daltonboy going. No such luck. He did get a doubloon, though, which was pretty exciting until we washed it off and found out it was only a 1970 nickel.

Some other treasures we found were:

enough broken glass (in every color bottled beer comes in, plus blue and purple) to recreate the Rose Window;

a key that looks like it could open just about anything;


an anvil (our blacksmith shop will be open for business soon--stay tuned);


and a Small Solider.


I stand corrected. I guess we did exhume a body after all. He looks pretty good, considering he's been underground for ten years.

Oh! And I got some pretty decent looking triceps, which are not pictured here because I can't be held responsible for what happens when people see them. And now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do to get in two hours of exercise every day.

4 comments:

Natalie Gordon said...

Are your triceps as awesome as those of the small soldier? Because he's pretty hot for a small soldier.

Great work! I hope we'll get regular garden updates - and another picyure of the tomatoes you can.

Lady Steed said...

An anvil?! Wow! All we ever found was glass and lots of rusty nails.

Nemesis said...

I am way jealous of that anvil. And your triceps.

Sue said...

And now the big question: what are you going to plant in all that great dirt?