Wednesday, June 4

Red light, Green light

I'm going back to school to get a graduate degree in inventing stuff. The first thing I will invent is going to be a Death Ray that shoots out of traffic lights and incinerates any car that crosses the white line after the light turns red, because some people need to be taught a lesson.

I don't know about other places, but in the north half of Utah the red traffic light has become more of a yield sign, I've noticed. I'm used to people just continuing on through when a light turns red, because they've been made to wait too long. It gets worse. Just yesterday I was sitting at a red light in the lovely city of Salt Lake, and every time there was a break in cross traffic, the others waiting with me would shoot out and be on their way. I chose to wait for the light to turn green, and was rewarded for my law abiding efforts with angry horns honking behind me. Because by the time I got to the front, there were no other cars coming, and I made everyone wait an additional twelve seconds.

So not only do I get to pay four dollars a gallon to drive around doing volunteer work (which I know I shouldn't complain about because it makes England think I'm a Whiny American Jerk), but now I get to have people yelling at me for following safety laws of the road. It's enough to make me want to sit home in my rocker, petting my cat and mumbling about kids these days.

1 comment:

Jared said...

Ah, the red light conundrum. I know plenty of people who run red lights, especially when it was yellow only five seconds ago.

As long as you make it before the other light turns green and your rivals hit their gas, you're fine.

Go Utah!