I've read 28 of the 50 to date, and since the year isn't half over yet, I'm going to reward myself by reading Harry Potter (and I mean volumes 1-7). I do this about every other year, and now I have the "luxury" time to do it--as long as I finish by June 30. That shouldn't be a problem.
Here are my top five so far this year:
1. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
I can't believe I haven't read this classic before. Fabulous reading!
2. Moon Over Manifest, by Claire Vanderpool
This year's Newbery winner. It wasn't my top pick (partly because I hadn't read it by the time the award was announced), but I loved it. In case you're interested, my top pick would probably have been Countdown, by Deborah Wiles.
3. Rock-Solid Relationships, by Wendy Watson Nelson
A fantastic book on how to strengthen relationships--with spouse, children, friends, co-workers . . . you name it. Very enjoyable read and tons of advice that is understandable and makes perfect sense.
4. The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers
I think next year's goal will be to read a bunch of literature by non-American authors. This was so much fun! Wacky and zany. I listened to this recorded book because I needed something to listen to and it was about the only thing available. What a delight! Don't read this unless you love authors like Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde.
5. Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater, by Frank Bruni
A very well-written book, that surprisingly made me think a lot about my own unhealthy relationship with food. Again, a recorded book that was one of a limited selection, but a hidden treasure. Bruni alternates between stories that are hilarious and poignant. I loved it!
I'm excited to see what the next six months brings!
2 comments:
.
You've sold me on 13 1/2 lives
I hope you love it!
Post a Comment