Friday, July 8

A Woman of Great Accomplishment

I slept well last night. This means that I actually hopped (literally) out of bed at 7:30 this morning instead of napping fitfully until 9:30 or 10:00 after having lain awake for two to three hours in the middle of the night. So very refreshing!

Then I got dressed, went out and weeded the garden, cut about a hundred daisies for cheerful (and friendly) bouquets around the house, came back in, dragged Taylor from the TV, went back out with her and watered the garden, weeded some more, and came in and cleaned the entire house. This included vacuuming, sweeping the floors, and folding laundry. Simultaneously prevented Taylor from having a nervous breakdown over the idea of having to do an hour's worth of chores.

After that, with the morning only half gone, I showered and entertained a drop-in guest for a while, and then finished writing my play on the Martin Handcart Company (which I procrastinated on and was supposed to be finished last Friday). Called a guy about borrowing a handcart for tomorrow's parade, and delivered all the scripts to the cast members. Also delivered invitations for an upcoming PTA meeting and tried to recruit more cast for the play. Arranged babysitter for Taylor, since Bret and I are going to a They Might Be Giants concert tonight.

Next, feeling totally empowered, I went to the car parts store and bought adhesive for my rear-view mirror that fell off several days ago. Came home and applied adhesive--it didn't work. Driving around without a mirror isn't so bad anyway. I just pretend like the back of the van is all loaded up with luggage and stuff--it's the same thing. Side mirrors work fine.

Now it's only 2:30 and I have nothing left to do. The house is clean, the play is written, invitations delivered . . . I suppose I could start preparing that Relief Society/Priesthood lesson on pornography I'm giving in three weeks, but what for?

This is the kind of day when I think I really am cut out to be a stay-at-home mom--when I actually do stuff of my own free will and don't lay around being all tired and listless and worthless. Tomorrow I'll probably be back to my old self, but for today my self-esteem is high, energy level adequate, and biorythms at their peak.

Now I should get that pioneer dress out and prepare it for the parade, which is a whole stinkin' day away. Heck, I'm working so hard today I should have been wearing that dress all day! Will possibly whip something up for dinner, like stuffed crepes.

1 comment:

Jim Nolan said...

2:35 in the afternoon and you have done all this. You are truly a remarkable woman.