I was going to post my brilliant Ward Newsletter Message now that I've finally finished writing it, but since it turned out pretty lame, I decided to only subject people to it that have to be subjected. Like the ten people in our ward who read the message. Instead, I think I'll share a story about something that happened at church today, because it made me think. Also, I was unable to express myself out loud, because the person I was talking to would have been offended. So I'll do it here, where I can potentially offend even more people.
We were talking about having the children sing a song for our upcoming ward party, and the chorister said she didn't like the song that she'd been requested to teach. So she was going to choose another one. Then she said, "speaking of songs I don't like, 'Master, the Tempest is Raging' is another one. I hate that song."
Brief pause, while everyone just stared at her. Then, "Oh!" I said. "Actually, I love that song."
"Well, I don't, because I've been on a boat in the middle of the ocean where the waves were coming up this high [gestures over head] and let me tell you--there's no amount of faith that can make that sea calm."
Huh. Um, I think there is. Of course, I couldn't say that, because I didn't want to contradict the scariness of the situation she found herself in. I imagine I would have been terrified. But what a fantastic story! I mean, would President Monson have a heyday with that in a conference talk, or what? Because that IS the situation we find ourselves in, every single time we walk out our front doors (and sometimes inside the home, or in our hearts). The tempest IS raging, and all we have to do to feel at peace is to rely on the Atonement of Christ and believe Him.
I just wish I could get to really meaning the part where it says, "Oh, hasten and take control." I tend to want to keep control of things. Sometimes I don't do such a good job of it. If Someone Else was in charge, maybe things would go better. I bet they would. But it's scary, you know? Because those waves are high. And what if I get thrown out? And . . . and . . . man, I hate that song.
4 comments:
Thanks for the story. It really helps put things in perspective, because that's exactly how I feel right now. So, although I'm sure your other message would have been wonderful, I most definitely appreciate this one.
.
I fshe ever moves, you can use this post for a bulletin.
Thanks.
Last night, when I read this, I had a faith promoting, "wow, DaltonGirl really hit the nail on the head," response. This morning, I woke up on the grumpy side of the bed, and just want to say that I'm guaranDARNteeing that the next time that lady is on a boat, she is getting washed overboard.
dma: thanks! I'm glad I could help.
th.: She is never, EVER moving. They've lived in that house for over thirty years. And while I think that's great and all, I don't see myself being able to tell that story in this community for at least another twenty-five years or so. Hopefully by that time I'll be out of the newsletter ghost-writing (for the bishop and/or auxiliary president who doesn't want to do it) business.
Post a Comment